Analytics
2.2K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Analytics not appearing after applying filter to prevent internal IP data being shown

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have applied a filter on Google Analytics to prevent data from my own IP being shown in the results, but after I applied it no results are being shown whatsoever when I know for a fact people have been visiting my site. If I take the filter off, all the data(including mine) are being shown. I have double checked I have applied the filter correctly. Any ideas?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Analytics not appearing after applying filter to prevent internal IP data being shown

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Ben Q :-)

Best practice is to leave your initial default View (All Website Data)
without any filters applied to it, then create a new View for filtering if necessary.
This helps guard against data loss due to an incorrectly configured filter

by ensuring there is always an unedited, unfiltered raw copy of data available.

Are you using a predefined filter for a single IP address?

Can you please post a screenshot of the filter configuration.

Also is your tracking code configured to anonymize IP data?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Re: Analytics not appearing after applying filter to prevent internal IP data being shown

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Bronwyn V Thanks for the reply. 

Yes the filter is for a single IP address.  My tracking code is not configured to anonymize IP data as far as I'm aware as I have never requested that.  I have followed the best practice that you mentioned. Hope this info helps!

Analytics.png

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Thanks re the screenshot :-)

if you go to google.com and type - 

What is my IP into the search box, 

does it return the same IP as your public ip

for the search result?
Do you have a static IP that does not change?

Also are you able to possibly provide the website url so i can take a quick look at the tracking code via browser?

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes it returns the same IP as the one in the filter. And the URL is www.benquartermaine.com

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Ok..so no issues with the tracking code setup itself.

Really bizarre that a filter would block all site visitor traffic.

You are taking into account that data is not always current for the current day and can take up to 48hrs to process into the reports?

What you may want to try instead is a browser addon called DaVinci Tools, rather than setting up a filter, it will enable you to block your own visits via a single button in the GA interface

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/da-vinci-tools/pekljbkpgnpphbkgjbfgiiclemodfpen