Analytics
4.1K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Analytics and html feed app

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have recently launched an app which is basically a html newsfeed of our mobile site. My question is will this affect analytics of our mobile site? I have been advised by the developers that it won't affect analytics as it basically works like a browser so will still collect all the data. If it doesn't affect analytics where would this app appear in the list of Browser & OS in GA or will I have to create a new one for this?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Analytics and html feed app

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Bill,

if you are pulling your mobile site's full content (including scripts) into an app Web view, there is a good chance that the Javascript engine in the browser will indeed execute all scripts therein (incuding Google Analytics) and therefore trigger tags and register page views, sessions, etc.

If you are just pulling blog post content without any of the templating that goes with it, then you should be safe.
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Julien,

the app is pulling in the entire website as a html feed so that's good, is there anyway of testing it?

Also, would you happen to know where the app would appear in GA? I assume it would be under Safari (in app) but it would be good to have an individual browser type just for the app though I wouldn't know how to set this up!

Thanks,
Bill

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
A safe bet would be under Audience > Tech > Network > Hostname = (not set)
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks again, how would I know if this is just sessions through the app and not other 'not set' networks? Is there anything I could drop into the app code so GA would recognise it and specifically assign analytics to it?

Thanks,
Bill

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
that's the thing: hostname set to 'not set' usually means not hosted on your site and very likely on your app.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, the network 'not set' part of the analytics was showing sessions before the app went live so it must include something else though what I don't know!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Just double checked and there are definitely sessions logged in the network 'not set' before the html feed app went live.

Just wondering how I can separate analytics received through the app in GA, if indeed it's even possible??

Thanks,
Bill

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Sure, create a view that is dedicated to the in-app content and set to Browser equals Safari in-app for instance

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks again but the in app content is the website content, how do you point GA to the content being viewed through the app if it's the same content as viewed through any other browser??