Analytics
1.9K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Adding an unusual domain

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

My client wants to track with Google Analytics a domain which contains a trailing slash. It looks something like (not real example): hi.hello.ac/knowledge. That's the url, if you type hi.hello.ac the website doesn't appear

I added this domain in my property settings > Default url but now looking at several reports I see funny things like:

- A page /knowedge which I understand it's correct because it's the home page (please correct me if I'm not supposed to see this page)

- A page with / which I understand it's users typing a slash after my domain (and which I can sort out with a filter to group with /knownlege - please correct me if I'm wrong)

- Pages like /knowledge/knowledge which I can't understand where they come from

I have also seen weird things on my funnel visualizations. I set up a goal where home page was mandatory as first step and I see sessions exiting after seeing the home page /knowledge and landing on a page called /knowledge. 

How is all this possible? Is it because I didn't set it up correctly? GA support says on this page https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1009694?hl=en Select the protocol standard (http:// or https://). Enter the domain name, without any characters following the name, including a trailing slash. 

Can anyone help please? It's important to understand if this url can be actually tracked or not... And if so how to do it.

Thanks very much, A.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ACG
December 2016

Re: Adding an unusual domain

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hello there :-)
That makes complete sense.

I would try and get the redirect in there sooner rather than later.
1) The 403 page that is being served on the domain root does not have any tracking code installed. so if ppl are arriving at
what would 'usually' be the home page, when they get the error page its not being tracked. So atm there is no way to tell if/how many site visitors are doing this and of those, how many are being lost/leaving the site.

2) Ppl in general by nature are lazy and often wont type in full urls to a browser address bar, sometimes they will be able to select from their browser cache, however if not, then they are likely to just type in the domain name which goes back to the previous point of the visit not being tracked if they arrive on the 403 page.
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi ACG :-)
Are you able to pls provide the correct website url (easier for troubleshooting sometimes if the site itself can be looked at to see its behaviour in a couple of diferent scenarios)

- A page /knowedge which I understand it's correct because it's the home page (please correct me if I'm not supposed to see this page)

- A page with / which I understand it's users typing a slash after my domain (and which I can sort out with a filter to group with /knownlege - please correct me if I'm wrong)
This would also sometimes be the home page. May not necessarily need a filter, may be fixable in the settings, but again, easier to give further information on that if able to visit the actual site and see its behaviour when browsing the site

- Pages like /knowledge/knowledge which I can't understand where they come from
Might be an error due to adding a default page in the View settings when it shouldnt have one entered.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Bronwyn V,

Thanks for your message.

Sure, it's ld.nice.org.uk/qs

If you type ld.nice.org.uk you will see that at the moment we don't have a redirect to /qs (although the developer says that might add it).

For this reason when setting up this new property I had set it up as default url (within Property settings) ld.nice.org.uk/qs but I think that that's not the right thing to do on Google Analytics and the reason why I had problems with the pages.

GA support says on this page https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1009694?hl=en : Select the protocol standard (http:// or https://). Enter the domain name, without any characters following the name, including a trailing slash.

At the moment we have opted to amend the default url on Property Settings and website url from ld.nice.org.uk/qs to ld.nice.org.uk Any help would be really appreciated though.

Thanks and Regards, A

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi A :-)
The main issue i can see atm is that ld.nice.org.uk/ gives a 403 Forbidden error, rather than redirecting to ld.nice.org.uk/qs which to me would be the expected and logical behaviour

Quick question. is there anything entered into the View Setting page for the Default Page field (directly following the Timezone country setting

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello,

How are you today?

Yes we are adding a redirect soon. The url that we are providing everywhere is ld.nice.org.uk/qs though so only expecting to see people viewing ld.nice.org.uk/ if they are deleting part of the url.

We used to have /qs as default page but then we found duplication of /qs on pages which would mess the reports and wouldn't allow you to click on them and see what pages they were when analysing.

So what we've done now is create the property as ld.nice.org.uk/ (without /qs) and the view as ld.nice.org.uk/ (without /qs either) and we'll apply the redirect to ensure that ld.nice.org.uk/ is ld.nice.org.uk/qs. We've done this because I found out that you can't have sub domains on properties like we had...

Does the above make sense?

Thanks, Alex

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ACG
December 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hello there :-)
That makes complete sense.

I would try and get the redirect in there sooner rather than later.
1) The 403 page that is being served on the domain root does not have any tracking code installed. so if ppl are arriving at
what would 'usually' be the home page, when they get the error page its not being tracked. So atm there is no way to tell if/how many site visitors are doing this and of those, how many are being lost/leaving the site.

2) Ppl in general by nature are lazy and often wont type in full urls to a browser address bar, sometimes they will be able to select from their browser cache, however if not, then they are likely to just type in the domain name which goes back to the previous point of the visit not being tracked if they arrive on the 403 page.

Adding an unusual domain

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your suggestions and sorry I took so long to answer. Best Regards