Analytics
1.8K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Adding a new domain name to an existing Google account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I already have a Google account, but it is tied to my original domain name.  I have a new domain name that I would like to add to my Google account so I can track traffic to that domain name.  How do I do this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adding a new domain name to an existing Google account

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Gail,

If the new domain replaced the old, you may want to keep the same tracker for historical comparisons.

If the new site is not related to the old, you can just add a new web property for the new site in the admin settings.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1042508?hl=en

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, Theo:

The new domain name is for the same property as my original domain name. I
currently have 2 identical websites that are hosted by different hosts. I
want Google Analytics to track the new domain name as it is currently
tracking the original domain name. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Gail

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Gail,

You can roll both sites into one tracker that's not a problem. You can use the hostname dimension to differentiate the two or you can add a filter (always keep an unfiltered view) to combine the hostname to the URI for your content reports. (instead of/widgets you would see exmple.com/widgets.).

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, Theo:

Thanks so much for the quick response! How do I go about rolling both
sites into one tracker?

Thanks!

Gail

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi Gail,

Just put the same tracker that your already using (The Google Analytics Tracking Code or GATC) on each site.

If it were me, I would have these data views set up:

Unfiltered (or All Website data - the default)
Site1.com (include filter on hostname site1.com)
Site2.com (include filter on hostname site2.com)
You should also have a view for testing as well.

More on filters :

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034380

Look at "content and traffic" on the link above and hostname.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, Theo: Thanks for the above info, but it's Greek to me. Where would I find the data views to set up as you indicate below where you say, " Unfiltered (or All Website data - the default), Site 1.com (include filter on hostname site 1.com), etc. When you say Site 1.com are you referring to my original property URL and Site 2.com as my second property? Both properties have the same name.

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Hi Gail,

Sorry for the confusion, but it's a relatively complex topic. You don't "have to" do anything to see the data from both sites collect in the same property/tracker other than to put the code on each site.

That said, if you are using a single tracker you will need to do one of a few things to see from which site the traffic came.

1. In whichever Google Analytics report you are looking, add in a secondary dimension of hostname.
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6175970?hl=en

2.. Add a new filtered view (this is done from Admin in the view tree (on the right) and click on the view dropdown and select new view. Or you can go to view settings and select copy view.

Reporting/data views are just a collection of data. The one that GA creates for you when you create your account and property contains all data and is unfiltered. You should always have an unfiltered view - hence we want to create new ones if we are going to apply filters. Filters are simply rules for what data you want to collect in the view. In this case you MAY want to create a view for each site so that you can see the data independently. To do this you can reference the link from my previous post and add a filter to each view based on the hostname of the site(s) creating a view and filter for each of the sites.

Here is a post from my buddy Joe Teixeira, see number 5

http://www.morevisibility.com/blogs/analytics/clean-up-your-google-analytics-data-with-these-5-filte...

I would add screenshots for you but for some reason I get an HTML error every time. Smiley Sad

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a good le account. I have registered one business on the account and set up analytics.. I have also on the same login registered a new and completely unrelated business as well, although for some reason it will not let me register google analytics for the second business.. Does anyone know how to do this? thank you 

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star

Hi Rocco,

You already have an analytics account so just create a new property and use that tracker on the new site.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1042508?hl=en

Cheers,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn