Analytics
2.8K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Added new URL to account. What happens to historical data for old URL?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

We have added a new URL (same business). The old URL remains in the account. Will I still be able to access the historical data on Google Analytics when the old website no longer exists? Will the historical data always remain?

Thanks!

Jessica

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Added new URL to account. What happens to historical data for old URL?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Historical data in Google Analytics will stick around for at least 2 years...if you don't delete the view.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Good to know, thank you! If I want to keep the data longer, can I download it? Or is there a way to transfer the historical data to the new URL?

As an aside, I am new to GA and have just been assigned this website. I am planning on taking the GA academy course. Do you recommend any other sites or blogs to follow?

Thanks again,
Jessica
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jessica H
June 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
The GA Academy is the best start.

There is no way to download or transfer data in GA - it is what it is. It may last longer than 2 years -- that's just the standard line. Most people see a lot longer retention.

If you want old data and new data together, keep the same tracking code - just move it to your new website.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Apologies for the delayed reply. Many thanks again Mike!

Jessica