Analytics
1.6K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Added new URL to account. What happens to historical data for old URL?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

We have added a new URL (same business). The old URL remains in the account. Will I still be able to access the historical data on Google Analytics when the old website no longer exists? Will the historical data always remain?

Thanks!

Jessica

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jessica H
June 2016

Re: Added new URL to account. What happens to historical data for old URL?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
The GA Academy is the best start.

There is no way to download or transfer data in GA - it is what it is. It may last longer than 2 years -- that's just the standard line. Most people see a lot longer retention.

If you want old data and new data together, keep the same tracking code - just move it to your new website.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Historical data in Google Analytics will stick around for at least 2 years...if you don't delete the view.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Good to know, thank you! If I want to keep the data longer, can I download it? Or is there a way to transfer the historical data to the new URL?

As an aside, I am new to GA and have just been assigned this website. I am planning on taking the GA academy course. Do you recommend any other sites or blogs to follow?

Thanks again,
Jessica
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jessica H
June 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
The GA Academy is the best start.

There is no way to download or transfer data in GA - it is what it is. It may last longer than 2 years -- that's just the standard line. Most people see a lot longer retention.

If you want old data and new data together, keep the same tracking code - just move it to your new website.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Apologies for the delayed reply. Many thanks again Mike!

Jessica