Analytics
5.1K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Accessing Google Analytics-- cannot figure out who set up account and how to access

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are having an issue accessing our Google Analytics account. I had tried to set one up myself, trying to put some basics in place because our Tech person wasn't getting to it.

We also have a SEO firm working on our business-- and after trying to get it up and running ourselves-- they told us they would be able to set up all our tracking codes, etc. They were able to do this via admin access.

Apparently when they went to set up all the tracking, there were two IDs for our web site/business-- so they picked one. They did not pick the one that I had set up with my Google account-- they chose the other one. No one at our business is claiming setting this other account up-- and now we have no way to access our Google Analytics Suite. The SEO team can see it all with their admin access, but how is there no way for them to create a log in with their admin access? When I log in with my Google account, there is very little data there-- and is of course not helpful without any tracking implemented-- so I know it's not accurate.

Any tips on figuring out how to access the other suite from a user perspective, not Admin?? Help!!!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Accessing Google Analytics-- cannot figure out who set up account and how to access

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Randi,

It's your data and as long as they have User Management access they should give you full Edit and user management access to the account.

If for some reason they have added their own account which has properties for multiple clients, that is sub-optimal and should not have been done. If that's the case, ask them to change to tracker to your account.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Re: Accessing Google Analytics-- cannot figure out who set up account and how to access

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theo (and Randi),

Having a similar issue, where the company that developed our website and created our Google Analytics have complete admin power, and only have granted myself minimal user management power. I cannot add or delete anyone, only myself. We have since cut ties with this company for a few reasons, and they gave us full power of our website they created - minus power over our Google Analytics.

When requesting full Edit/User Management access, they refused - unless we pay them. Is this something they can do? Is there a way for us to get around this, since this is our data for our website which we own? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Amanda

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Amanda,

That is dispicable. Yes you can follow that procedure that I linked to
from my previous post. If you have any trouble at all, let me know.

The worse case scenario is that they were very ignorant and put all their
clients under one account with different web properties. I MAY be able to
help if that is the case.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn