Analytics
4.8K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Access to old analytics data from old site

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi. I was recently brought on board a small publishing company to deal with a bunch of issues, one of of which is a newly "converted-to-WordPress and moved to new server" website after predecessors were fired. I am an amateur at GA and haven't had my hands in it for about 4-5 years but this was supposed to be a minor part of my job until I uncovered a mess of "issues"...

The current Analytics account was established by the contract web dev the past employees hired to covert the old site from a hosted solution to WP and move it to a contract server and I was just given access to it. The current GA account only has data going back to the launch of the converted/moved site. We have no data from the old site that was built 4-5 years ago and really need it. We have no idea if there was even an account set up or if there was, who of the 4-6 past employees that may have had access set it up. Is there a way I can get a hold of someone at Google I can discuses this with?

Thank you all for your patience.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Randolph D,

That is a tough one. 

Google respects the privacy & security of each account, so whoever creates the GA account it is owner of it. They will not give out any information. 

Further, since you are not ever sure if there was a GA account in the past, that is another roadblock, since a deleted account is gone... and/or attempting to recover a GA account that we do not even know if existed means you do not have any data, such as billing info, account ID, etc..

Perhaps you can run the free Google Chrome browser extension called, Google Tag Assistant, to search your current website and see what tracking tags are on it and see if you discover one you do not recognize. If you uncover one that is unknown, you could then try and go through all the steps in recovering that GA account.  

Since it sounds like you are back working with GA, you might enjoy brushing up on it with a free account at Analytics Academy? This is a free program by Google that provides some super intelligence on GA.

Kind Regards,

James 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry for the delay. I emailed a reply and it wouldn't go. Weird.

Anyway:

Thanks for the reply. I am starting over with the GA academy since there have been a lot of changes in the time I've not been active.

There wouldn't be any old tracking tags as the site was just converted to WP and moved to another server earlier this year so other than HubSpot, it was a clean install. It makes no sense to me that Google would consider the data for a website the property of whomever was the web person at the time and not the owner of the company whose website it is, or their current representative., especially since it would contain no personal data about that prior person. There would be no "billing" data since it's not an adwords account, and I am highly surprised that Google would destroy old data... In fact, no offence intended but I don't buy it at all. Google lives off of harvesting data and building profiles of all of us and historical data is very valuable.

The company here that I am with has gone through some major changes, taken some damage, changed the personell 100% and we are just trying to understand what we did have and how it performed vs what we do have now...

Appricate the reply though. I don't using get many in forums like this.

Randy