Analytics
3.4K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

Access to a Client's Analytics which was set up by a former Agency

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

We're facing the following challenge:

We need to get access to the Analytics account of one of our new Clients. 

Our Client's account was set up many years ago by a former agency of theirs and was set up in the old way, where a company / agency had one global account managing various clients accounts. We’ve reached out to their former agency to request access however they won’t give our client full account access as this will probably give our client visibility of all their other accounts. 

Would you be able to point me in the right direction on how we can resolve this matter for our client please?

Thanks. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Access to a Client's Analytics which was set up by a former Agency

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Carl,

There is not currently a way to do what you need to do; however, that may change down the road. The problem, as you point out, is that the agency had one account for all their clients and then created a new wen property for each client. This was never best practice and the agency can't give you or your client full access to the account without giving access to all. Edit and manage user access on the property would fulfill almost all needs with some critical gaps such as creating filters.

My recommendations are these:

1. Get edit and manage users on the property level
2. Open a new GA account and start tracking to two accounts (more on that here: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/creating-trackers#working_w...
3. In a year or so you can remove the old tracking code and only send data to the new account

This will let you do year over year analysis in the UI now and provide a good separation strategy for next year.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn