Analytics
3.1K members online now
Discuss regaining access to Analytics accounts, restoring accounts, changing user access levels, and navigating the homepage

Guide Me
star_border

50% user drop overnight with new webpage, using same URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi - I recently launched a new site with a new vendor and my Google traffic dropped 50% overnight.

I was hosting the .com site, went to a hosted solution with a new vendor (.com site pointed .com.au site) and Google says I went from averaging 13.5k users per month average to $6.5k/mth.

However my vendor has figures showing that I'm up on the old average. New site is dynamic and sends data to Google via an api, the old site was static.

Bounce rate dropped dramatically, sessions decreased, but page views and session time went up.

The new site is ecommerce as well.

How can this happen and how do I fix it?

Regards

Darren 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 50% user drop overnight with new webpage, using same URL

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

let's break this down:
You launched a new site and your organic traffic from Google dropped to half? Did you do the redirects properly? Have you tracked your search engine rankings?

What exactly your vendor does report do you?

What data is sent via API?

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Re: 50% user drop overnight with new webpage, using same URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Perhaps try using Tag Assistant or get the Google Analytics Debugger as a Chrome Add On.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-analytics-debugger/jnkmfdileelhofjcijamephohjechhna...

If you install it and turn it on by clicking on the icon to right of address bar, you can then go into dev tools and look at Console to see what's getting sent across.

If you find that data isn't getting sent, that's an area for further investigation. However, if you're apparently experiencing this inconsistently, it might - obviously - be harder to track down as you would just have to randomly experience the bad situation. Still, it's a way to look into what's happening when the page loads.

Scott