AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Boost and manage your Google Ads for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

instream ads placement targeting

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Jesus I just got off an hour long chat with adwords on why my instream ad is not getting impressions. I have it set up for placement targeting only and she swears I have to use keywords also. But I know many advertisers who are only doing placement targeting for in stream ads. Can someone here clarify this and tell me what would cause no impressions? I have played around with the budget as high as $100 and bid to .95 still no impressions.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: instream ads placement targeting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Well...  Using keywords (on the display network)  will improve targeting, but not nesesrality get your ad to be shown.

My feeling is that your bid is low. I would bid higher.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
increasing the bid and budget does not help. I don't choose to add keywords for this campaign and right now I've spoken to I guess it's 2nd tier support they will have the review team take a look at my ad and get back with me in a couple of days.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello , TrueView In-stream does not use keywords for targeting . Keywords are for TrueView In-Display for people doing searches on youtube ( the old TrueView In-Search video ads) .No impressions means too tight targeting as your bid is already too high. For example if you target only certain videos (placements) which do not allow ads on them , you get zero impressions.

Or if you target an intersection of Interests and Topics it is also too narrow.

I use demographics for video targeting (age+sex) or Interests but I get very low traffic on Interests.

Also make sure your location targeting is on a wide area with enough potential youtube users.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you and I do understand all of that but i have placements for thousands of videos. I know some of them won't allows ads but I find it hard to believe all of them have monetization turned off. I've played with increasing the bd and budget with no luck. Google has referred me to their tier 2 I guess support so I hope to speak with them soon.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm with you Val. I've put out ads on 85 diff YouTube channels...and most of them have monetization so how can that not be enough options for them to show my ad? I've been trying to play with Adwords for 2 weeks now and I've had nothing but headaches. This is so complicated.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So are you saying just to use demographics? That's not very specific. What I don't understand is that even if my ad was only targeted to one video, why wouldn't it just play on that one video all the time. I have a hard time believing many other people have consciously picked some of the same videos I have. I've picked some pretty offbeat [censored].