AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Boost and manage your Google Ads for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

YouTube optimize for views algorithm

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone,

I'm having an issue with a YouTube campaign in which we set optimize for views.

Nevertheless, from the 3 ads we used, the one having the highest view rate doesn't get the largest share of budget. 

The ad receiving the largest budget share doesn't excel in CTR or CPV either. The only indicator better than the others is Video played to 25%.

Do you happen to know more about the algorithm the platform uses for views optimization?

Thank you

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: YouTube optimize for views algorithm

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Catalina,

My working assumption is that you are running a TrueView campaign and that the 3 ads you mentioned are housed by the same ad group. If that is the case you can actually use the ad delivery setting to specify how often Google delivers your active ads in relation to one another within that ad group. See the help page linked to below for more.

*** Tips for optimizing your video campaign / Using advanced campaign settings***
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3013684?hl=en

Best,
Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Lakatos,

Thank you for your input. We already used ad setting - at first rotate evenly and afterwords optimize for views. ..

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

@Catalina C

Are these In-Stream ads? If so, what are the lengths of these three videos? Are they the same? If the one getting most of the impressions is shorter, that's probably the reason. 

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Correct, Catalina, I oversaw that part of the sentence. On the other hand, as David mentioned, it is not clear what type of ad you are in fact running? Could you elaborate on it a bit?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello David. We are using in stream. all ads have the same length - 16"

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Having 3 videos I always set up 3 different campaigns sets having one campaign with only one targeting method( keywords, ca or topics)
there is way you can figure out why certain videos perform better, on my memory I had two videos and the one (with better VR and CR) was more expensive even though they swear these are the QF key ingridients (the vids had the same targeting).
I could say same as my colleagues did - but it simply doesn't work sometimes. Sometimes there is no one who's able to explain the way it works.

From my experience :
CR, VR, bid adjustments are 'the kings'. I even choose the bid adjustment of 1% - from the machine's point of views the same bid will be bigger with such a bid adjusment...

That's all I can say.

<edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

Please note that it is counter to our Community Guidelines to either offer or request assistance outside the forum. The Community Guidelines may be referenced via the link towards the bottom right of the page.