AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Boost and manage your Google Ads for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

YouTube Cards Don't Work On Mobile

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have been told repeatedly that youtube cards work on mobile devices. Yet when I looked at one of my videos which has 3 youtube cards on it they do not appear on my mobile device. So do they work on mobile? This matter becasue I am running an ad on this video and Hvae had to turn off mobile once I realized the cards were not showing up. They do show up on desktop but not mobile. Also can you use cards with a call to action overlay on a video?  Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by CassieH (Community Manager)
January 2016

Re: YouTube Cards Don't Work On Mobile

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Val,

Cards on TrueView ads will run when an Android or iOS user uses the YouTube app, but not when they use the YouTube mobile site (m.youtube.com). The same goes for call-to-action overlays. The exception to this rule is iPads, which will be able to run cards and call-to-action overlays when they visit m.youtube.com.

Hope this helps!
Cassie

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by CassieH (Community Manager)
January 2016

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Val,

Cards on TrueView ads will run when an Android or iOS user uses the YouTube app, but not when they use the YouTube mobile site (m.youtube.com). The same goes for call-to-action overlays. The exception to this rule is iPads, which will be able to run cards and call-to-action overlays when they visit m.youtube.com.

Hope this helps!
Cassie

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Wow how many people even know how to install the YouTube ap when someone sends you a video you just click on it. Are their any plans to allow cards to work on the youtuube mobile site in the future? This matter becasue advertising on mobile is critical and if you have to have the ap to view the ad properly it is not worth it to advertise on mobile because no one will see your CTA

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

Hi Val,

The YouTube app has millions of active users on both iOS and Android, so there are still huge numbers of impressions available who can be served your cards and calls to action.

I don't have any insight into the timeline of expanding the feature to the YouTube mobile website experience, as this is still a relatively new feature in the YouTube world. But product changes like these are almost always based heavily on customer feedback. If showing cards to all viewers is important to you, I would encourage you to submit that suggestion on the AdWords feedback page here.

Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I thought the whole point of Cards is that they work on mobile. Many people may have a youtube app, but a greater percentage of people don't, so millions of embedded youtube videos can't take advantage of that feature. Can they fix this or not?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I agree, plus my video is for my website which using an embedded popup.  Very disappointing that the cards don't work.  Head scratching really.  

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Val

Like with the other marketers, I rely on the cards for call to actions on mobile as well as desktop. This seems really absurd to me that with the push over the last few years with everything having to be a responsive design that the powers at be at You tube don't see this to be important. Unbelievable.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The thought process at Youtube on this one has me really scratching my head. I have embedded Youtube videos on my site as well that the cards won't show up on mobile. Did you find a work around for the call to actions being responsive to the device? Thanks for posting this. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We thought we were the only ones.

Google changes/hides/breaks/removes features constantly on both YouTube and Google+. We gave up on figuring out Google+ about a year ago.

The fact that one can no longer use annotations to put up relevant information for the viewer is...we just don't have words... We've had to resort to relaying relevant information during video in the subtitles. Already a workaround for the NEW feature of not having annotations. Nice.

We went through the trouble of putting both Cards and End Screens on several channel videos and then checked them on several new iphones and they don't work, huh?

Something NEW that doesn't work for the specific market it was intended. Mobile Users.

Personally, we think Apple is doing the EXACT SAME THING and has been for years.

Constantly changing things and promising better 'this and that', but always changing again before the old 'this and that' was ever fully functional. Permanent Beta Experience. Never rock solid or stable.

Oh well. I guess "good enough" is the new progress.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Agreed. This whole beta thing is the way in which they can change things to fit their business model. All in all very frustrating.

Eric Miller
All my best, everyday
Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per Community Posting Guidelines. Please do not include your phone number in forum posts.