AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Boost and manage your Google Ads for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

YouTube Ads - How am I charged?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Community, 

Has anyone wondered how YouTube actually charges differently for InStream vs. InDisplay?

This page https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2375464?hl=en says that if it's InStream and the video is longer than 30 seconds, users have to watch at least 30 seconds for advertisers to get charged. (If shorter, the user has to watch the entire video). 

In contrast, advertisers are charged for InDisplay ads when someone clicks on the thumbnail to watch. My question is then is there a limit as to how long they need to watch it? It's not apples to apples but it seems like you'd be getting a better deal if you are running InStream from a cost stand point.

My InDisplay is much more expensive than my InStream on actual CPV.

Looking forward to all of your insights!

Regards,

Chenchen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chenchen W
September 2015

Re: YouTube Ads - How am I charged?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

For the ad format TrueView In-Display you are indeed charged for a click not for a minimum video duration. A user can see the video for TrueView In-Dsplay even for 1 second and you got charged. I always use TrueView In-Stream and only when the budget is not fully used I allocate small amounts in a different campaign for TrueView In-Display for the same video.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chenchen W
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

For the ad format TrueView In-Display you are indeed charged for a click not for a minimum video duration. A user can see the video for TrueView In-Dsplay even for 1 second and you got charged. I always use TrueView In-Stream and only when the budget is not fully used I allocate small amounts in a different campaign for TrueView In-Display for the same video.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your response! I'm relatively new to YouTube ads. Definitely need to grow my knowledge and watch things more closely. Appreciate your time and insight Smiley Happy

Chenchen

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi, Adrian,
As tureview in-display is charged by CPC, while in the adwords accounts, when I set up the in-display ads, there's no place to input the CPC bid, it's still CPV bid, then how the system charge me for CPC, or how to set up CPC bid?

Thank you

judy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian,

I am a new Youtube advertiser. From the report i extracted directly from Youtube Ads' report, it showed that no clicks resulted from in-display ads but i was charged RM1900+ for in-display ads.

Kindly clarify on this.

Thank You.