AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Boost and manage your Google Ads for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

What is a Click-to-Play Ad?

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

If you’ve used AdWords for any amount of time, you probably know that the platform is constantly changing as our product teams listen to your feedback and make improvements.

One feature that’s had a name change--but which we still get many questions about!--is the click-to-play ad format.

Click-to-play ads were a type of video ad available on the Display Network. Like their name suggests, these ads displayed video stills on sites across the Display Network. Clicking on these ads would trigger the video content to begin playing.

With the 2015 migration of AdWords for Video into the main AdWords interface, a lot has changed in the world of Video campaigns. There is no direct replacement for click-to-play ads. But if you want to create a new ad similar to the click-to-play ads, In-Display ads for Video Campaigns offer some of the same functionality.

Read the full article to learn how to set up your In-Display video ads!

clicktoplay3.png

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What is a Click-to-Play Ad?

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Have questions? Leave them below and we'll be happy to help!

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni
I used to do a lot of video campaigns to promote music videos and indie films and I found the click to play video ads in display as a really valuable resource for this purpose. I could target the content to just the right destination within the Google Display Network.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Spoiler

I need to know the 24/7 help line for adwords. The weekly line I called said it was on the help menu on my account and after looking for 10 minutes I didn't see a help menu anywhere on my account. I don't have hours to spend on these forums or looking around for a help menu please tell me the phone number.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want buy 80$ ads for my ytb video. Will i get good result from redirected trAfffic? I wAnt ranked my vIdeo

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@MikeJohnston and @CassieH

What kind of interactions do you get versus similar CPV models? Higher clicks versus more complex ads? Are there a lot of placements for this type versus a trueview?

I am considering this for some brand awareness campaigns and would want to go with a more interactive option if it makes sense strategically.