AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Boost and manage your Google Ads for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Video ad just for GDN, not for Youtube

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hi guys,

I frequently find Video ads playing on the GDN. I'm wondering what the steps are to create a Video ad campaign that is to play the videos ONLY on the GDN and not on Youtube.

What would be the best way to go about this?

Thanks!

For example, here's one on a forum:

Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 10.09.56 AM.png

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark H
September 2015

Re: Video ad just for GDN, not for Youtube

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

To show an AdWords video ad only on GDN placements, Target the "Youtube videos network" (second option from "Networks" ) and use as "Negative target" the placement youtube.com , otherwise it will be targeted by default .

The steps to follow for an exclusion of placements are a little non-intuitive to say the least :

1) Click on Targets and pick a targeting group that you use for that video.

2) Under the Graph you will have a few targeting criteria , click there on "Show more" to see also the Placements criteria

show-more-criteria.png

3) Then search on the lower right side the section "Campaign level exclusions" and click on "+Negative placements"

negative-placements.png

4) Under the text box "Add manually " type youtube.com and click on "Add>>" 

Now the beauty of it is that you have to click the same button "+Negative placements " to save the modification.

Very bad interface design at this point , as the "Save" action is allocated to the same button which opens the dialogue box. A huge lack of software testing which I have seen in many other corners of the AdWords interface.

how-to-save-a-negative-target.png

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi there;
I think that you are refereeing to "AdWords for video"
Read more about this type of campaigns;
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375425?hl=en&vid=1-635765171862537282-2889371318
And:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454017?vid=1-635765171862537282-2889371318
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark H
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

To show an AdWords video ad only on GDN placements, Target the "Youtube videos network" (second option from "Networks" ) and use as "Negative target" the placement youtube.com , otherwise it will be targeted by default .

The steps to follow for an exclusion of placements are a little non-intuitive to say the least :

1) Click on Targets and pick a targeting group that you use for that video.

2) Under the Graph you will have a few targeting criteria , click there on "Show more" to see also the Placements criteria

show-more-criteria.png

3) Then search on the lower right side the section "Campaign level exclusions" and click on "+Negative placements"

negative-placements.png

4) Under the text box "Add manually " type youtube.com and click on "Add>>" 

Now the beauty of it is that you have to click the same button "+Negative placements " to save the modification.

Very bad interface design at this point , as the "Save" action is allocated to the same button which opens the dialogue box. A huge lack of software testing which I have seen in many other corners of the AdWords interface.

how-to-save-a-negative-target.png

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Thanks so much Adrian! That worked!
Moshe, appreciate the links.