AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

4.7K members online now
Boost and manage your Google Ads for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Video Ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there

I hope someone can help me. I set up an adwords advert for my YouTube video yesterday with a daily budget of £5. When I checked today, I seem to have 2 adverts (both with video) but one doesn't have a daily budget and now has a charge next to it for £325! I have since placed a daily budget next to it and then put both on hold. How has this happened and is there anyway I can reclaim the money?

Any help would be very gratefully received!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Video Ad

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Sarah, 

Is there a chance you set your cost-per-view (CPV) at 5 pounds instead of your campaign budget at 5 pounds? In most cases a higher than expected charge is related to a mistake on the side of the account owner - typically when it comes to your campaigns daily budget as well as CPC/CPV costs. 

If you do believe AdWords overcharged you then you can file a complaint here: 

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472641?hl=en

Let me know what you discover, 

- Josh

Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Video Ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Josh

Thanks for your reply. No, the advert that I had done was set at 5 pounds per day, the problem is with a duplicated advert (also with the same video) which says it is 'in-stream' and had no daily budget entered. It wasn't even displayed as an advert in my campaign, it just said 'all video' or something in a list at the bottom of the page. The only reason I knew it was there was because of the large amount of money next to it! Once I changed it to £5 a day, and then paused it, it then showed up at the top of the page as a separate advert.

Thank you for the link, but it's not really an overcharge, it's something that I wasn't even aware I had done and if it had been visible, I would have checked it before it had been approved, and cancelled it! Is there another link where I can talk to someone about this?

Many thanks

Sarah

Video Ad

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Sarah, 

Campaigns require a daily limit, so when you say you had two adverts are you simply referring to 2 ads or two campaigns. Because you can have two separate ads then it would make no different. A duplicate campaign could theoretically be the cause of your issues. 

Can you send a screenshot with any person identifying information blurred/cut out? 

Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Video Ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Josh

In the status group column, it says for both 'campaign paused', so I am assuming both are campaigns? I have a screen shot but not sure how I can send it to you?

Re: Video Ad

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

@Sarah S

You can post it here. Just go into the full reply editor (link is below post button) and select photos.

If you're drilled down to the ad level, and the campaign is paused, you'll still see that message in the status column.  

I just wanted to add that there have been some similar posts in the past describing amounts accrued that are grossly over budget like this.  In everyone of these instances it was reported that it was automatically corrected after a few days.  However, it was never explained why it was happening.  It could be this bug/glitch that you are experiencing.   

If it is some inadvertent error on your part, you can still make a claim to Google.  At the beginning of my career, I accidentally uploaded an intended negative list as actual keywords. They were kind enough to give me a significant portion of the spend from it back.  

However, based on what you have described, I think it's most likely this bug that other community members have reported over the past few weeks.  Campaigns don't automatically duplicate themselves, and there a few steps involved to intentionally do it in the interface.  That makes doing it by accident almost impossible.

Video Ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Actually, when I first go to my campaigns page, it just shows the one campaign under that name. I have a screenshot to send you.

Thanks for your patience!

Re: Video Ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

screenshot2.pngscreenshot.png

Video Ad

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

@Sarah S

Thanks for sharing that.  So it appears you have experienced this glitch as well.  You have one campaign set to 5 GBP/day.  This campaign has two ad groups.  It should eventually correct itself, but I would go ahead and make a complaint so it's brought to someone's attention. According to Google's policy, you will not be responsible for owing more than 6 GBP.

You're like the 3rd or 4th person to report this kind of issue here in the past couple of weeks.

Video Ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the info David. It happened on Sunday and it still says the same. I have uploaded a couple of screenshots, showing the charges. How do I contact google?