AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Boost and manage your Google Ads for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Turn off demographic targeting for video placement ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am looking to run a video ad on YouTube, but I only want to run it on a few specific videos rather than to any demographics or interests etc. I have tried previously to run a video placement ad on a number of other specific YouTube videos but Adwords would not let me 'switch off' demographic targeting, and I had to select at least one demographic category, which then maxed my budget by showing my ad to this demographic and barely at all as a placement ad on the specific videos. 

So my question is, is there a way to completely turn off demographic targeting so I can select my video ad to show on just a couple of specific YouTube videos?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hello Orro,

you cannot "unselect" all genders and ages from targeting, but there is no need for you to do that. Just target any placements (videos, channel etc.) you want and leave demographic targeting and interest to target every gender, age and interest.

This way your ads will appear in placements you want, no matter the gender, age or interests of people seeing your ad.

Hope this is what you had in mind,

Tomáš

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tomas,

Thanks so much for your reply, so what you're saying is that if I select all demographics etc., that my ad will play only on the videos that I select as placements, but that on those videos I have selected as placements my ad will play to all demographics watching that video?

The reason I ask is because when I previously made a video ad for YouTube and selected a couple of specific videos as 'placements', my ad barely played on these videos (81 impressions in total) whereas generally across YouTube my ad played to over 3,000 impressions, and when I had a look at the videos my ad was played on they were completely random videos. Therefore I wondered whether because I had selected a demographic as well as a placement for my video ad, that the ad just played across loads of random videos watched by certain demographics that I had selected, rather than exclusively on my placement videos, which is what I intended. When I tried to deselect demographic targeting, Adwords would not let me.

Any further help on this issue would be really appreciated!

Many thanks.