AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Boost and manage your Google Ads for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

TrueView InDisplay View Rate Dropping

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All, 

Is anyone else experiencing a massive drop in view rate on their TrueView InDisplay (not search) campaigns? Particularly remarketing? 

Essentially in the matter of 3 days, TrueView remarketing campaigns targeting YouTube Videos only (not search) have had their view rates reduced by as much as 80%. 

I did not change anything in these campaigns, this is a Google/YouTube issue, just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. 

Matt G

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: TrueView InDisplay View Rate Dropping

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Matt,
Not seeing anything here.

Your view rates can alter drastically from day to day. ESPECIALLY if you're using a remarketing in your targeting lists. People may be sick of seeing the same video or they may already know what the video is about. In this case, take a look at your frequency capping.

There's a whole bunch of other reasons why this would happen (another AdWords user with a lot of budget running a campaign in your space) or even the targeting overlap,

My guess would be either remarketing or the placements. Run a placement report to see where your views were coming from and if your videos are still appearing on the same pages. If you're targeting specific channels or even videos, it's possible that you've "used up" that audience by now (depending on how long you've been running).

Have you tried a new follow up video?

It's a bit difficult to give any more info than than without getting a LOT more information like your video URL, exact targeting options, targeting lists and strategies and of course the content of the video (is it still relevant?).

Hope that's helped. Even a little.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I guess you read, "Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue", as "please help me, I've never used da adwods B 4."

No, that was not helpful all, but I bet you feel better.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Matt,

I had the same problem as you 30th and 31st of July, it did however bounce back but is now back to the same low level since the 13th of August. Have you found out any reasons for this?

Thanks,

//Johan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yeah, there's a reporting error, not that adwords would ever admit that, but there seems to be a problem with Adwords registering the view. My guess, and this is just a guess, is that it has to do with an advertisement running in advance.

Also, have you noticed a terrible decrease in earned metrics? With European countries not reporting almost any earned views/subs?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
He was seeking to be supportive. I would just say thank you or say nothing at all. I appreciated the tone of his response and it did confirm that there might be an issue with your account and not with everyone else's. I found Dave's answer to be pretty helpful.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Matt,

No, I haven't noticed the same decrease in earned metrics. What I have noticed is that it is only affecting Computer device views and not mobile or tablet views.

How did you come to the conclusion that this is a reporting error?

Thanks,

Johan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
From a previous issue with this, which they did report back that it was an issue with YouTube reporting the view. Essentially what happened was that the view rate for indisplay plummeted from a solid 1.2% for weeks straight, down to .05% in 2 days. Currently its hovering at a pretty crappy .4% - .5% down from a 1.3% or so with no significant other factors at play.

Yeah, those devices seem fine. Desktop/Laptop has fallen by 50%-75%.

Also, have you noticed earned metrics for new ads not showing up for a few days as well and it appears not to populate after a few days for the first few days either?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I've had the same exact issue since a sudden drop August 11-13. It is way more pronounced on "computer" devices. I think a drop on "computer" would hurt "earned" actions as the display ads on YouTube Videos are harder to find on mobile. I'm getting nowhere with AdWords support who expect me to believe user behavior would change a previous 2% view rate to a .02% view rate over night. It's not about exhaustion of the content either, we post new content every week and had been regularly hitting about a 2% view rate until the dramatic overnight -100x drop. I realize this thread has been dead for almost a month, but has anyone gotten to the root of this problem?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mike,

I have found a semi fix for the issue. If I change the landing page from channel to video the view rate for me went from 0.5 % to 5 %. Unfortunately, even with this information adwords support can't explain or fix the issue. Instead they are suggesting me to use the video as landing page which isn't as good in my opinion because it gives me less "earned views".