AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Boost and manage your Google Ads for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Search Queries Showing Foreign Language Searches?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I found in our search queries for our ads on YouTube that our ads have been showing against words from foreign languages. I check the settings to make sure we are only targeting English as a language. 

Does anyone know why our ads would show against foreign words like '股票' when we are only targeting English words and have English language as our setting?  

How do we stop this happening?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Karl R
September 2015

Re: Search Queries Showing Foreign Language Searches?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again @Karl R;

This is a very interesting case. We discussed this at length in 2012. (See link below). This is know as cross  languages match. This could happen  when the system identifies in  a specific  Geo area, in which more than one language spoken, a keyword in one language, which was "diffused" into the other language,  and considers it as a synonym of  a keyword in the other language (spoken).

Note: this is not common, since AdWords does not translate, and would happen only in broad match.

An example how that might happen:   if users commonly search on Google, let's say, for "trade shares" in Chinese, and immediately after,  run the same search in English. If this happened a lot, (i.e. Over a wide  statistical sampling) -  the system would  correlate  the search terms, and consider them as synonyms, within the Geo region, in which this behavior is common among users.

Read this discussion:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Spanish-Campaign/td-p/61434/page/...

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Karl R;

Translating from Chinese, this word means  "stock" or a share.

Do you have similar keywords (in English) on your list of keywords?  Are you targeting a Geo region in which Chinese is spoken? (I understand that the language targeted is English)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi MosheTLV, thanks for your reply. Yes we are bidding on similar keywords, but we have our settings set to show only to English as a language. We are targeting NZ users, there are Chinese speakers here. How do we make it so our ads will only show to people typing the English language?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Karl R
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again @Karl R;

This is a very interesting case. We discussed this at length in 2012. (See link below). This is know as cross  languages match. This could happen  when the system identifies in  a specific  Geo area, in which more than one language spoken, a keyword in one language, which was "diffused" into the other language,  and considers it as a synonym of  a keyword in the other language (spoken).

Note: this is not common, since AdWords does not translate, and would happen only in broad match.

An example how that might happen:   if users commonly search on Google, let's say, for "trade shares" in Chinese, and immediately after,  run the same search in English. If this happened a lot, (i.e. Over a wide  statistical sampling) -  the system would  correlate  the search terms, and consider them as synonyms, within the Geo region, in which this behavior is common among users.

Read this discussion:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Spanish-Campaign/td-p/61434/page/...

-Moshe

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks again Moshe, this is very helpful and interesting.

It seems Google need a fix for this as there wouldn't be to many instances where someone who chooses to target only one language would want their ads showing against others.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Karl R;

Rereading your initial question; which report are you using to see those search terms? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
They are video search campaigns. I was looking at the 'YouTube search keywords' report, which appears to be the same as a 'search query' report.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Karl R;

OK - got you. That's a YouTube report.

So, as for your question: on the search network, you could exclude synonyms by using broad modified (BMM) or phrase or exact match types.

On the display network, all keyword  are  broad match,   because they work collectively  to create a theme, which is matched to channels or videos. The reason is that, generally speaking, the goal of an advertiser on the display (network) is to expand the reach to broad audiences, who have an interest in the theme of the video / channel.

And,  when using  keywords targeting,  "broad"  includes synonyms, which could be "cross language match". (As you have noticed... Smiley Surprised )

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Moshe, thank you, that's helpful info.

Hopefully Google can come up with a fix for this soon. As I said before there would be very few people targeting a specific language who want their ad to show on other additional languages. Certainly not me Smiley Happy

On a side note, have you heard of a 50 negative keyword limit for the display network? I was told this by a Google Rep, but seems strange seeing as you can load as many as you want.

Search Queries Showing Foreign Language Searches?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Moshe, 

I understand what's happening, but I'm having trouble explaining it to my Hebrew-speaking client.  I think he did his keyword search from the wrong language or something similar, and I don't believe he can tell English from German (it's a site about Vienna). I cannot convince him that the keywords he has given me (many of which are actually in German) are not words that English-speakers would use.
If you have time, could you translate to Hebrew essentially what you said in the long replies above and below? I tried using Google Translate, but it's not up to what I need. 
Thank you for reading, 

Yehudit