AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Boost and manage your Google Ads for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Promoted Video - No competition, but no impressions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So here's the deal, I've set up a VERY broad promotion campaign for one of my youtube videos.

I have it extremely broad in keyword search terms (and fairly lenient demographic), with around 5000 keywords in different "Target Groups", so I could quickly test out which would work better for me.

Since I don't need a ton of views right now, and it's more for testing, I have started each target group with the minimum bid I can do. AdWords still estimated this to 1000-5000 views a day (and hence, many thousand more impressions). And with the very broad keyword search terms, I expected to quickly reach my budget to check everything out.

But here's the deal, I get 0, zero, impressions. The ads have run for 2 days now, with everything approved, and zero impressions. I have checked that it is actually updating, but putting FAR to high numbers into my bid, and THEN I get impressions.

Now, of course, you might think "That just means everyone else is outbidding you, which is why you are getting no impressions". Yes, you would think so. Except that a test by myself, and a friend (who lives in another country, and falls perfectly in my target group and demographic) show that on the search terms on youtube, no other ads show up. There is, in actuality, no competition for my keywords.

So can someone explain to me why:

I have ads that are 100% approved, keywords with no other competition, but can't get impressions/win bids with the minimum bid?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Promoted Video - No competition, but no impressions.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi TokyoZeplin,

I've always found the no competition concept quite interesting but I cannot solve it. 

Jon has a nice response/perspective here from a previous (slightly similar) question:  https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/No-ads-on-a-google-search-no-competition-for-this...

It could be that your terms are indeed too broad for Google to make a decision on what to display for ads.  Your terms could be considered in such a way that searchers could be seeking information instead of products.  There are many guesses I could make but in reality, it's quite difficult to tell from a distance.

Oh - and also, don't lend too much weight to "estimates" as they are only that, estimates and do not take into consideration anything specific about your account and its settings.

I wish I had more to tell you.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your reply, Bossman!

If nothing else, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who is a bit perplexed by this.
I should note though, that if I turn up how much I'm willing to bid quite a bit (as in, 6 or 10 times my original bid), my ads start showing. But if I turn it down again, they stop... and still without any competition.

While I understand the idea of information vs product, I'm advertising (among other things (for different keywords of course)) a music video on YouTube. One of the search terms is the name main keyword of the music video. There are no other competitors showing up for it, yet my own video isn't showing up either.

Does Google put different minimum bids on different keywords? (so even if there is no competition, there is a higher-than-minimum bid required)?

And could it possibly help if I divided many of the search terms into smaller different target groups? (it just seems a hassle!)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It seems that the AdWords support staff doesn't quite understand the system either...

When I contacted them for any possible information, they first stated that my keywords had nothing to do with my video, so I had a low quality score. When I explained that they were looking at the wrong video, and that even very tight keyword groups (such as the title of the video) didn't get any impressions, they said it was because the keywords were too popular so the bid was higher (even though the whole point of me contacting them, was that there were no other bidders!!!).

So yeah... that was a waste of time.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

did you contact their customer service? what did they say, when ever we watch Youtube we see big brands video adds only, that explains your no impression mystery,so why are they asking us to make video campaign, when & where are they gonna show my little meat shop's video?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No, I never got an answer. Well, they answered, but in the two emails they sent me, they answered questions I didn't ask.

The first time, they said my bid was too low (which makes no sense, since there were no competitors to bid against).

When I explained this, I got an email saying my ads weren't very specific, so other companies would outbid me (basically same as first reply, which again, didn't answer my question).

My theory is that they simply didn't want to accept my low bid. They insisted I bid higher than I actually needed to, to ensure that I didn't use the minimum bid in Danish Kroner, which is not a whole lot in dollars.

But no, they never actually gave me a straight forward answer to my question, and how this worked, and why it worked this way.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Now I feel that I've tried just about everything.. I started a campaign a week ago.. initially I chose interest groups that I thought would be searched a lot.. My bid is high but my market is low.. just my own city of 1.4 million people.. I got 7 impressions in about 3 days.. then I got on the phone with adwords.. they told me I chose too many interests.. ok.. so we reduced the interest groups and I doubled.. maybe 16 impressions over the weekend.. still really low.. So monday, made another call this time the solution was just disable all groups and keep my .80 cent click budget.. Still a day later.. no impressions.. On FB I run the same kind of promo with 100,000 impressions.. . I think the system is messed up.. I'm not sure that there is any solution to this.. and the people in adwords don't know how to rectify it.. Essentially my problem is that my video is real estate related.. I'm not interested in just keywords for people looking for Real estate related activities.. because there is a slim chance that people will actually search for this term.. more likely they're on line to search for movie trailers, cartoons, sports, news, etc.. So no my topic, if I understand this will never receive a lot of searches, because few people are actually doing any kind of market video, who knows to search for this kind of thing unless we advertise it.. So we have to advertise it to groups that aren't looking for it.. that's the only way..