AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Boost and manage your Google Ads for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Overlay CTA in Adwords for Video

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I am totally confused by the way overlay CTA work on Adwords for video and could not find any decent answer anywhere. If someone here knows the answer, I will be more than thankful Smiley Happy

So, I recently started Adwords for video campaigns and the structure is as follows: separate campaign for each of my remarking lists (visitors to website). As an ad, I will use the same Youtube video in each campaign, only in-stream format. So far, so good, but now CTA comes into play. 

1. In each campaign I have a Video Tab where I can put overlay CTA, right

So, is the CTA visible to my target group in this campaign only (meaning one specific remarking group)? And when exactly does my target group see it, since I don't drive ad viewers to the video, but to my website. If not, then should I create same CTA overlay in each of my campaigns, since they use the same video?

2. It is totally confusing how the overlay CTA is related to my in-stream ad anyway, since it does not show within the ad? Apparently CTA is not connected to the ad at all, because my ad is paused and the overlay was running

3. How you measure performance of CTA and pay for clicks? is it CPC or not?

Thanks anyone! Hope you can help to me or anyone else having similar concerns.

Best,

Ani

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Overlay CTA in Adwords for Video

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

The CTA overlay is unique per video not per campaign, it is free to click and it does not appear when you received a view from a TrueView In-Stream ad. Also if monetization is enabled for a video the CTA will not appear.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Adrian,

So, it does not really matter where you create it exactly (I mean in which campaign), its a video, not an ad thing. Then, the confusing this is that it is among ads and targets in the campaign. I will just put an overlay then in one of the campaigns (since the ads will have the same video). Thank you!

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Ani D

I suppose you've read:
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/150471?hl=en&ref_topic=2972947
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/187096?hl=en

A CTA overlay is only possible in True view in display ads (https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2679940?hl=en&ref_topic=30072) and if you created a video campaign, try to restirct the campaign for special video formats.
So, create one camapaign only for True View In Stream (TVIS), and another only for True View In Display (TVID) video ad formats. You have to use the Video tab for new video campigns - not the display campaign tab.
In video campaigns there are no adgroups!

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The truth about the TrueView In-Display Ad format is that the Ad itself is only an image not a "true" video but a click on that image sends the user to the watch page of the selected video.

It is more a "banner" Ad than a video "Ad" with the special property that it can appear in youtube search results if you target keywords.

So the user who clicks the "TrueView In-Display" Ad sees the standard watch page (like an organic view) and you get charged from milisecond 1 of the video.

I avoid this Ad format and use mainly the TrueView In-Stream when you get charged for a view after 30 seconds , if the video Ad is longer than that.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Adrian, Thank You.

"Also if monetization is enabled for a video the CTA will not appear." – this is the answer to my question. Simple.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies since it is from 2014.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation. It's always best to start your own thread versus making comments to random threads, even if your issue seems related.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic. Making your new thread is fast, easy and allows more specific help directly to you (and not all of the other members in the old thread).

Thank you.