AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Boost and manage your Google Ads for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

How to remove demographic targeting in NEW version adwords for Video?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

In the "old" version of AdWords for Video, you used to be able to deselect all demographics (so I could just focus on keyword targeting). Now it gives me this error message "Removal not allowed. Removal of the last of your targeting is not allowed. It will prevent your ads from running. You must have at least 1 target selected to save your ad group." I don't want to target demographically - i want to target by keyword. Why do I have to have a demo selected for every adgroup now and is there a workaround? Thanks.

-M

Youtube.JPG

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to remove demographic targeting in NEW version adwords for Vid

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi M,

By default all demo are selected in the ad group. You can remove specific ones to target others if required. If you intend to target by keywords, you can leave the demo targeting to default setting, since your ads need to be shown to all users (irrespective of age/gender) when they search on YouTube.

Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Sumanth. What about placement targeting then? I'm finding that because i have to keep demographic targeting on (maybe?), my placements aren't actually being shown to the videos I've listed as my placements. Instead, it's targeting irrelevant videos and I can't figure out why. Any ideas? I'm new to this and with the integration that just occurred of videos into the main part of adwords, most blog articles have been rendered obsolete.

Thanks!
-Mich

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Have you picked YouTube video URLs to target as placements? Are you using any other targeting methods?
Sumanth Sridhar

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes, about 50 YouTube video URLs and then the demographic targeting (because you can't not have that turned on). I'm thinking that maybe it's starting to finally work and it's the 48 hour lag-time that's throwing me off. Also, the interface is confusing because the tab where it says "Managed Placements" shows 0's in all columns, but if i click over to "Where ads were shown" today I've started to see info on some of the titles that are my managed placements with a few numbers. Sluggish though, at best. Even with a $50/day budget.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,
I'm seeing the exact same thing - because I "have" to select a demographic, my ads are now being served to that demographic (which is of course huge) and not actually on the placements I've used.
Any idea of what the issue is there? Thanks,
Eugen.

Re: How to remove demographic targeting in NEW version adwords for Video?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have the same problem.
Have you ever solved?

Re: How to remove demographic targeting in NEW version adwords for Video?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Unfortunately not - not sure what's going on there.