AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Boost and manage your Google Ads for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

How long must a user view a video to count as a "view" vs. an impression?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The analytics on video campaigns differentiate "impressions" from "views in reports. At what point does an impression become a view? Is an impression only defined as such if viewers skip the ad? Does and impression become a view after 3 seconds, 5 seconds, 11 seconds, etc.? TIA, been searching all around but get a lot of unrelated results.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Austin,

An impression becomes a view when a user watches 30 seconds of the video (or the entire video if it's shorter than 30 seconds).

Hope this helps,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Matthew, can you help clear up something else then?. When I delved into the analytics on a particular video and looked at the view time of "Audience Retention" 26% watched less than 1/4th of the video (:24 seconds). Am I to understand that only stats in "Audience Retention" with watch times greater than :30 seconds are actually views? It seems like those analytics only delve into views as is indicated by the title.