AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Boost and manage your Google Ads for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

How can I test multiple custom thumbnails in an ad discovery campaign?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I want to run an ad discovery campaign on YouTube for a video, testing it with a few different custom thumbnails. I think this is a very basic thing to do, but can't find the way to do it. just to make it clear- I do have the option to add one custom thumbnail, but that's not enough.

My only clue so far is this: https://support.google.com/displayspecs/answer/6227733?hl=en, saying "Choose from 4 auto-generated thumbnails. To implement custom thumbnails, contact your Google representative"

I have no Google representative to answer my question, HELP please.

Thank you,
Maya

1 Expert replyverified_user

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Maya,

Thanks for posting to the Community. There currently is not a feature built into AdWords to upload custom video thumbnails on ad discovery ads. To test different video thumbnails, you will need to manually change the video's thumbnail in your YouTube account per the instructions here. You can only select one thumbnail at a time, so whether you use a custom thumbnail or auto-generated thumbnail, you would need to allow one version to run for a given period of time and then update the thumbnail to test its impact.

Hope this helps!
Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Cassie, 

Thanks for the answer, I am quite surprised, the first thing that came to mind when I wanted to test ad-discovery is thumbnails, those I assume have grave effect on whether the user clicks or not. What test would you recommend for this type of campaign in order to optimize it to its best performance?

All the best,

Maya

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

This is such an obvious feature for a discovery ad. Its really something that this product requires. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You can test different thumbnails. All you have to do is set up the add multiple times and select a different thumbnail each time. This doesn't solve the custom thumbnail problem, but it does give you the ability to test all 4 thumbnails provided.