AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Boost and manage your Google Ads for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Google makes things so hard that should be easy

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I've been going back and forwards with the Google team on video ads only where I only use the search network not youtube video or GDN network just search and I get totally unrelated views on my video. No one can explain this and it is totally confusing to me. Here is their official response for me today:

I have heard back from our technical team, and they currently have a ticket open with our engineers to continue to look into this.  Here's the official response from our technical team:

"When you use keyword targeting on the YouTube Video Network/GDN, our system contextually targets your ads to YouTube video metadata or Google Display Network page content that is related to your keywords. We are looking into this to identify if there are any technical issues. We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this."

I am only using the SEARCH network and I don't know how many times I have to say that. I want my ad to appear when someone searches for my chosen keywords that's it. That is the only network where I am running the ads in question the SEARCH network.

Please tell me why this is so hard to resolve it has been weeks?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Val T
September 2015

Re: Google makes things so hard that should be easy

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

You can avoid Youtube Search completely and use the TrueView In-Stream ad format Option (without TrueView In-Display) with Network =Youtube Videos (uncheck Google Display network) and use as targeting Interests or demographics.

This is a much better setup because you only pay when a user sees at least 30 seconds of the Video Ad.

With Youtube Search you pay from second 1 of the Video Ad because you pay for a click on an Ad made from an Image which takes the user to your Video page.

View solution in original post

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I think there is a confusion about the meaning of "search network" .

Normally "Search network" means search terms typed in the google.com search engine and as a result a lists of Text Ads relevant to those search terms. In this "Search network" you cannot use video ads at all.

On the other hand there is the Youtube Search engine which allows users to searchs for video content based on "Youtube Search Keywords".

To configure an AdWords Video campaign to show your Video Ad for only Youtube Search , you have to select just "YouTube Search" under "Networks" at the campaign level.

The big problem with your selected keywords and the Youtube search is that Broad Match is used so your keywords could be matched to any number of more or less irrelevant "Youtube Search Keywords" .

To see the actual search terms in a video campaign , navigate to "Targets"  then on the lower right you will find "Where your ads were shown: " and select "youtube Search keywords" .

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454017

"Keywords for the YouTube Search Network will serve ads based on YouTube viewers’ search queries. "

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you Adrian I realize what you are saying and I have tried my ads with broad match keywords and exact match keywords using the YouTube SEARCH only network for video ads. Either options shows unrelated results.

The reason I use the search only network is so that I only get results for what users are searching for. This does not seem complicated in my mind but the results I am getting shows me that either the youtube search network is not up to par or there is some technical issue I am not aware of.

It's really simple create ad, enter keywords select search network only which means results should be ONLY as a result of someone searching.

I only get results for totally non related keywords like minecraft crap that's not even in the same niche.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I still think there is a confusion between Text ad campaigns which do have the option "Search network only" and Video Ad campaigns which do not have the option "Search Network Only" .

When you configured the video Ad campaign did you uncheck the Nework option "Youtube videos" to leave active only "Youtube Search" ? This will ensure that your promoted video only shows for searches on youtube.

You wrote "enter keywords select search network only which means results should be ONLY as a result of someone searching" .

The is no such option for video ads, only for text ads in regular campaigns non-video.

Here is a screenshot with Network Options for video ads  :

youtube-Search.png

Also match types do not work with video ads targeting, even if you can set a Youtube Search Keyword to loo like exact match for example [product x] this Youtube Keyword will still act like broad match as if you typed it product x with no paranthesis .

I know people are used with match types from the regular search network for text ads and they want to use the same match types for precision also on youtube search but it just doesn't work the same.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
yes i do ONLY select search network and when I use exact match keywords I get a response from the settings stating that exact match ONLY applies to the YouTube search network which is what I want. I'm not getting confused I think what Youtube is delivering is confusing lol

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

If you are using in your Video Ads campaign only the setting Networks = Youtube Search , without "Youtube videos" , then all you can do to increase relevancy of the video Ad is to use +Negative targets button.

This means using negative keywords to block the Youtube search terms that are unrelated to your goals.

For example a negative keyword minecraft should block searches on this term.

Unfortunately there is no equivalent of a "search terms report" on Video Ads where you could see exactly which one of your keywords triggered some irrelevant youtube search terms , so optimizing Youtube Search Video Ads is a very time consuming task , but on the other hand views are cheap.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Really? That's hilarious. So if I understand what you're saying is to allow my ads continue to run get all these unrelated views and as I am getting them move them to negative targets all the while I'm spending money for unrelated targets until YouTube delivers my ads where I have specified.

Really? I get what you're saying but is that the answer really? I could be out of hundreds if not thousands of dollars. lol. Surely big ole YouTube should be able to handle a search query and deliver results based upon that search or at least let advertisers know that they will get a lot of unrelated search results.

I tried that when I first started running videos ads months ago spent over $95 and every search result was not related. Every keyword I had to move to negative target and I thought it was something wrong with my setup and I have been trying to get this dialed in since then.

Well it has been in the adwords video team for a while now and they can't seem to respond with anything that makes sense to me.

I'll admit it could be something I'm doing incorrectly but they are passing it on to their engineers I just thought I would check here to see.

I can't really afford to waste money like that as an advertiser I should be able to specify how I want my ads to show without getting a lot of unrelated cost associated with that ad. So I guess We'll see what happens. I appreciate your help. Thank you.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Val T
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

You can avoid Youtube Search completely and use the TrueView In-Stream ad format Option (without TrueView In-Display) with Network =Youtube Videos (uncheck Google Display network) and use as targeting Interests or demographics.

This is a much better setup because you only pay when a user sees at least 30 seconds of the Video Ad.

With Youtube Search you pay from second 1 of the Video Ad because you pay for a click on an Ad made from an Image which takes the user to your Video page.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I agree I'm setting that up now. I just like search because search gives the user the results they were looking for but while I await an answer from Google I'm going to try instream ads. Thank you again.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
pl z help me mam..... i am very sad......... man pl z ... explain me ... what is business & how to do business