AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Boost and manage your Google Ads for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Competing video ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am running a video campaign, and I have three ads that are using the same video, but they have 3 different targeting groups respectively. To be more specific, they have different topic targeting. One targeting group actually has no topic added, therefore it is the broadest targeting group. Another one has topic of finance, the rest has topic of credit cards. However, it seems that the ad with the broadest targeting group eats all the budget. I was wondering if ads are competing with each other if they are in the same campaign? Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sarah O
September 2015

Re: Competing video ads

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Broadest targeting consumes more budget, as it would show wherever possible. Having a common ad for different targeting groups within the same campaign doesn't necessarily mean they're competing. Similar targeting (like topics/interests) would compete within the same campaign or even otherwise.

I'd suggest having specific targeting methods in each targeting group to ensure relevance, Also, you might want to split In Stream & In Display to allocate a dedicated budget which wouldn't be possible in a single campaign.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sarah O
September 2015

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Broadest targeting consumes more budget, as it would show wherever possible. Having a common ad for different targeting groups within the same campaign doesn't necessarily mean they're competing. Similar targeting (like topics/interests) would compete within the same campaign or even otherwise.

I'd suggest having specific targeting methods in each targeting group to ensure relevance, Also, you might want to split In Stream & In Display to allocate a dedicated budget which wouldn't be possible in a single campaign.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Sumanth!