AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Boost and manage your Google Ads for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Companion Banner options to support TruView InStream ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am looking for a display option that will let me include a supplementary image (banner or square, overlay or on the side) every time my TrueView InStream video ad appears.

I've been reading up on companion banners but I've not been able to get a clear idea of what it exactly is, or if it's any different from the CTA overlay. 

The problem I am trying to solve is that since we first made our ads back in the fall we have added a hashtag to our campaign that we want to promote. Since I don't have the time or budget to re-edit the videos, my plan is to include the hashtag in an image that displays along with the video, much like a CTA. (And I don't just want to remake the CTA overlay, I'd prefer to make a graphic that's consistent with the rest of the campaign.)

If this is not the way companion banners work, I am willing to divert some of the budget to pay for a display ad, as long as I know if will accompany the videos when they play (or at least when they play on YouTube).

Can someone please clarify companion videos for me and tell me what my options are?

Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Natalie R
September 2015

Re: Companion Banner options to support TruView InStream ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
In the end I spoke with a Google rep who helped me figure it out. I'll post their solution so the next person who needs it can find it.

Companion banners were the right thing for me in the end but I never saw an example of what they looked like and was looking for them in the wrong place.

This (on the top right) is a companion banner:
http://www.dialekta.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/companion-banner.jpg

It's under the in-stream, not in-display options on your ad settings, which is why I couldn't find it and assumed they only used thumbnails.

Other banner options cannot be set to accompany your videos. The only other thing that accompanies your videos is using the CTA overlays, but they aren't as graphically appealing.

Given my options I am going to use the companion banners.

Thanks for all the help.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

This is a nice question and a nice idea when budget for video is limited.

I understand from your question that the video is a "preroll" ad (InStream ads)

Companion ads are shown (not always) at the side of the page   with other formats of video ads. So if you can't change the video adding a companion banner is a good idea. But do remember that not always it will be shown. 

Read more:

https://support.google.com/displayspecs/answer/187096?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This is helpful thank you.

Can you explain a bit further about how the video and banner might be separated? Is it a default setting that gets disrupted sometimes? Is it random and up to me to set the targeting so they match?

The reason I ask is that I don't mind the video appearing without the banner from time to time, my concern is the banner appearing without the video. Given that the dimensions are 300x60, I won't have enough space to include anything but the hashtag, so if it appears without the video no one will know what it is.

Lastly, how do I go about adding the banner if I want to make the graphic myself?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hmm... Google doesn't say when the companion ad is shown or not; It just says that it will not always be shown. I should say that I have always seen it shown.

Why won't you test and check yourself? (Assuming that the change I the banner is not costly)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Natalie R
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
In the end I spoke with a Google rep who helped me figure it out. I'll post their solution so the next person who needs it can find it.

Companion banners were the right thing for me in the end but I never saw an example of what they looked like and was looking for them in the wrong place.

This (on the top right) is a companion banner:
http://www.dialekta.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/companion-banner.jpg

It's under the in-stream, not in-display options on your ad settings, which is why I couldn't find it and assumed they only used thumbnails.

Other banner options cannot be set to accompany your videos. The only other thing that accompanies your videos is using the CTA overlays, but they aren't as graphically appealing.

Given my options I am going to use the companion banners.

Thanks for all the help.