AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Boost and manage your Google Ads for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Bad Youtube placements for keyword targeting

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I just created a campaign and used keywords having to do with "website builders" along with some pretty generic demographic targeting. Why then do I get a bunch of placements like the ones below? I know keyword targeting is pretty broad in this case but I would expect it to be bit tighter than this. Am I missing something?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Bad Youtube placements for keyword targeting

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

A bit more info on this...

out of 243 views that generated these bogus placements, 243 were Youtube Videos and 0 were Youtube Search.

I'm now wondering if keywords don't work so well with Youtube Videos network and should only be used in YouTube search? Maybe the Videos network gobbles up all the budget too fast. I still don't get why it's matching those videos with my keywords though.

AND

223 were In-Stream and 20 were In-display.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @WebEminence;

Indeed, keywords targeting (aka contextual targeting) is broad...

How many keywords do you have?

Add exclusions;

What campaign is that (in display?)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
17 keywords, In-stream type, Youtube search. I also realized I had some Interest targeting set which should have narrowed it down even more but didn't seem to help. It's difficult to add exclusions because I don't know actual search queries. There must be some general terms like "how to" and "website" that are in some of my keywords that are triggering all types of placements. I'll try to start with a few one word but specific keywords (brand names for now)

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

So these are channels on which your video ad was shown?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Are you referring to my screenshot? Those are the video placements for the 17 keywords I described. I noticed the setting for that campaign was Youtube Video and not Youtube Search. So I changed it to Youtube Search and changed some other things and will run it again today. I deleted a lot of keywords with multiple words and am targeting only brand names (e.g. godaddy) that really can't be misinterpreted. I'll see how it goes.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Please note that YouTube search campaigns were merged into In-display

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

From what i can see there are Formats & Networks and a lot of people here get them confused.

Formats:
In-Display
In-Stream

Networks:
Youtube Search
Youtube Videos

I'm using In-Stream format and Youtube Search network for the campaign in question. I'm assuming there used to be an In-Search FORMAT and people are confusing that with Youtube Search NETWORK I'm not intermixing the two.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

You are absolutely correct, this could be confusing. Smiley Surprised

Thank you for pointing out, 

And hopefully,  this confusion will be gone soon, after the merger of In-search format into In-display

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I'll report back tomorrow on the progress. I learned something else today about video advertising. Campaigns with low budget ($15/day) don't get served at all. It may be a function of Max CPV as well, but I didn't realize this until late in the day so didn't get any impressions.