AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Boost and manage your Google Ads for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

After how many clicks on Video ads should I see conversions?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have never seen conversions reported for video ads. Even when the accounts had both types of conversions setup (adwords and imported analytics) , even when the video ads have received thousands of clicks . 

I have also seen always zero values for the "view through conversions" in the video ads reporting.

Things I have already done :

- looked at the time-frame "all time",

- checked if conversions appear for search ads=yes they appear consistently every day up to 40-50 daily conversions.

Here is a printscreen with what I am usually seeing.

video-ad-conversions.png

Now the question for whoever tested video ads : have you ever seen conversions or "view through conversions" for any video ads ? And if yes , after how many "Clicks" (formerly known as "website clicks" ) ?

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: After how many clicks on Video ads should I see conversions?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian,

Video conversions are a bit of a different animal. Your conversion rates are going to usually be a lot lower.

There's no real way to see if you've got things set up correctly or not based on the limited data but from what I know of you, you HAVE got them set up correctly. This just looks like you simply don't have enough data yet.

Here's one I pulled from my account from a small test I ran a few days ago. We're seeing both conversions and view through conversions. However, we had a LOT more views in this test than in yours.

video.jpg

Hope that helps with diagnosing your issue.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian,

Video conversions are a bit of a different animal. Your conversion rates are going to usually be a lot lower.

There's no real way to see if you've got things set up correctly or not based on the limited data but from what I know of you, you HAVE got them set up correctly. This just looks like you simply don't have enough data yet.

Here's one I pulled from my account from a small test I ran a few days ago. We're seeing both conversions and view through conversions. However, we had a LOT more views in this test than in yours.

video.jpg

Hope that helps with diagnosing your issue.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
Great , so a 0.25% conversion rate from views exists out there.
I think I have setup conversions corectly because I get conversions in adwords and I also see Goals in analytics. The videos are running True-view In-stream with the same destination URL as text ads which convert so I should be seeing view conversions too.
In some campaigns I had over 3000 views with no reported conversions.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I never said it was a good conversation rate Smiley Wink

bear in mind, this was a 2 day test to test tracking and the video remarketing list. We weren't expecting any conversions at all. The CTA is poor and if anything, we were expecting a lot less to be honest.

The point is, it works and there's a lot of room for improvement.

Hopefully that will encourage you to leave it running. Video is a tricky beast. We're using it for transmedia and seeing some incredible results.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I would be happy to have 31 conversions every 800 clicks, I think it is a good conversion rate. Especially since I get an average view cost of 1 cent.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I just got a feedback from a google employee that analytics goals are not reported in the video ads conversion reports, and most of my conversions are imported from analytics.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Wow, that's an interesting development.

I wonder if call conversions are?

Thanks for the update Adrian.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't know, you have the power to escalate and ask a googler here Smiley Happy 

I did look in an account which has 2 adwords conversions , not goals ,and after 1400 video ad views there is one giant "view through conversion" , reason enough to gain hope

view-through-conversions-video-ads.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I do agree with you. The conversion rate is almost lesser than the number of clicks. But still it can be effective as per 30-50 conversions for less than 500 clicks.