AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Boost and manage your Google Ads for Video (YouTube ads) performance
Guide Me
star_border

Adsense account suspended due to Adword video ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My girlfriend an I have a YouTube account we've been promoting with Adwords video ads.  It's been really great.  However, about a month ago, I made a mistake and got my girlfriend's AdSense account suspended. 

It started as an honest mistake.  The YouTube account was monetized, but the ad video was not.  However, one day I got a message when logging into the YouTube account that 2 videos were not monetized.  When I clicked monetize, it somehow monetized the ad video.  I didn't think this was possible but, I left it not knowing that it was against the AdSense terms (my fault for not reading them).  Anyway, AdSense suspended the account for 30 day due to invalid click activity.

The 30 days are almost up, and I've stopped all my Adword ads.  Two reasons.  First, when AdSense suspended the account, it said it would be automatically remonetized after 30 days.  Obviously, I do not want the ad video automatically remonetized.  After doing some Googling, I've read that promoting any monetized YouTube channel can cause you to get your AdSense account suspended permanently.  I have tried to reach out to AdSense and Adwords for clarification on this, but I have not gotten any response.  So to be on the safe side I've decided not to promote my YouTube channel any longer. 

I'm wondering if anyone here has any knowledge on this matter.  Thanks for your help.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adsense account suspended due to Adword video ad

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Mark C as far as I know there's no policy restricting AdWords from being used to promote a monetised YouTube video.  There is a restriction on the Ads themselves - you can't use AdSense for Video ads in content hosted on YouTube, you have to go through the YouTube monetisation program (see hereSmiley Happy

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/1706015?hl=en-GB

However, it sounds like that's what you did.  You say you were suspended for invalid click activity and that's really a separate issue.  Invalid click activity is usually where Google believes clicks are being generated in an attempt to deliberately increase revenue (such as deliberately viewing and clicking your own Ads), rather than for any direct violation of a certain policy.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Jon,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I now realize that you cannot monetize a video that is used for an ad. Once you connect a YouTube video to adwords, you can no longer make any adjustments or edits to the video, such as changing the title or thumbnail. This includes changing the monetization status. However, it think it's a bit of a bug issue that allows you to monetize the ad video when you get a message from YouTube that requests you monetize any un-monetized videos. The ad video that got us into trouble was unlisted and un-monetized and was doing just fine until I clicked the little reminder message from YouTube.

As far as the invalid clicks, I'm 100% certain it was from monetizing the ad. I think the term 'invalid clicks' is an umbrella term used for may scenarios I don't think it was a coincidence that the account was fine for months, and then the day after the ad video was monetized the adsense account was suspended. I am super cautious about clicking ads. Even when I'm surfing other channels, I never click ads or skip ads when I can because I'm so paranoid about breaking the adsense rules. I have even gone as far as to tell my friends and family to never ever click ads on any of our videos because I've read forum posts about overzealous family and friends of other Youtubers.

Here is a forum post about the type of ads I'm using and the type of problems that can arise. https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-for-Video/How-We-Lost-1-307-585-88-With-YouTube-Ad...

If I knew I could reach an actual human when running into problems, I wouldn't be as concerned. But I spend barely $300 monthly on Adwords. If people spending millions cannot get a hold of a real person, what chance do I have.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Mark C you really should be able to get to speak to customer support, no matter what size your spend.  What channels have you tried?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits