AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

website optimization

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone,

I have used adwords for three years and have spent thousands, I have people calling all the time wanting me to pay SEO fees and guarantee that my traffic will double or tripple and I would be able to cut back on PPC. Can anyone give me advise regarding PPC vs SEO? Is SEO a better way to get more traffic, can I do SEO myself? 

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: website optimization

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ellen;

Let me quote "straight from the horse's mouth":[1]

• "While Google never sells better ranking in our search results, several other search engines combine pay-per-click or pay-for-inclusion results with their regular web search results. Some SEOs will promise to rank you highly in search engines, but place you in the advertising section rather than in the search results. A few SEOs will even change their bid prices in real time to create the illusion that they "control" other search engines and can place themselves in the slot of their choice. This scam doesn't work with Google because our advertising is clearly labeled and separated from our search results, but be sure to ask any SEO you're considering which fees go toward permanent inclusion and which apply toward temporary advertising" [1].

So, beware;

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi ellen101,

Can anyone give me advise regarding PPC vs SEO? Is SEO a better way to get more traffic, can I do SEO myself? 

PPC and SEO are different aspects of online marketing. PPC involves direct money of the client where you are involved in direct competition to show ads either on top of natural seach engine results or towards right side.

On other hand, SEO is something to deal with optimization of your website, keywords etc..to better rank on search engines. The results which you see in the middle of the screen on Google are the natural free search engine results. 

On Google you can do PPC using advertising platform called Google Adwords. There are lot of basic to intermediate to advanced strategies which have to be followed to gain success. You can reach out to this popular thread for more details here.

I won't be commenting more on SEO because this Community deals specifically with Google Adwords. So for SEO, you can refer to this forum here.

Best of Luck!

Pankaj

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Ellen,

I hope if you are using the adwords from last 3 years and spent good amount of money then you should achieving your desired results or goal also. If you had not met your gaols or target then strong chances are you had not optimized your campaign in good way. A well optimized campaign can give you wonderful results.

You can go for SEO, its good to have seo friendly website. You can choose the keywords which are highly relevant to your web pages and then optimize these keywords. But before going to start SEO, please check few things in your website:

• Do your website have fresh, relevant and comprehensive content, if don't the pleasse write for all pages of your website.
  • How good is your website in term of usability and navigation, for example can visitor reach to any page within two clicks
  • How fast is loading time of website and web pages, try to make them fast 

I'll suggest you to read the Google SEO Guide for how to start SEO.

In SEO you can optimize your website for few keywords and these keywords can bring traffic to your website. In PPC you can select good no. of keywords for product and services and can get higher position quickey, where as SEO will take some time to get first page ranking.

I'll suggest you to go for both, if you had good budget for them, beacuse both will help you in bringing traffic to your wbesite and achieving your goal.

Dinesh
My Blog

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Ellen,

First, anyone who tells you they "guarantee that my traffic will double or tripple" is either lying to you or completely incompetent. They may be able to improve you organic page rank, but they can't guarantee traffic. I'd be extremely careful with offers like this.

SEO is something you can do yourself, but the success depends on how much competition you have for your keywords. The more competition, the more likely you will need professional help. It takes time and patience.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

kwc
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
kwc
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You can look at the difference between PPC and SEO kind of like the difference between leasing a car and buying it. As you mentioned, the cost of PPC can get pretty high, but it still can be worth it as long as you get some effective conversions from it consistently. But, if you ever decide you want to stop paying, you don't have any equity, it's like turning in your leased car. 

SEO, on the other hand, takes consistency and commitment to get going, and may take a little while to see big returns, but the great thing is those returns will last for years to come, even if you stop paying for SEO work. You can do some SEO yourself, of course, it just takes time. And if you want to really get aggressive with it, it takes a lot of time. So that is why I think it is worth it to pay for SEO if you don't have the time to put into all of the link building and content creation that it requires. There are also a lot of tricks to it that would be hard to uncover on your own that a professional company with SEO experience can provide. 

Of course, getting more traffic is just the start. Making sure you convert that traffic really well is just as important as getting the traffic, because that is where you actually make money. The best is to combine SEO, PPC, and really strong conversion boosting practices. I can recommend a company called KeywordCatcher.com, they can provide expertise and skill in all of these areas, and their conversion tool (Keyword Catcher) is really powerful, because at the end of the day, all the traffic in the world doesn't amount to much if it doesn't convert. I hope this helps!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi ellen101, there's no simple answer to this, although there's been some good advice in the messages already posted.

If you're a business you must consider both Adwords and SEO.  Adwords can bring you targeted traffic and good sales, but it comes with a cost.  Organic hits (based on SEO) can also bring sales but these are free!

Let's be very clear here.  People that call/email you promising the world will, 99.9% of the time, be wasting your time. Think for a minute... if there was a way to guarantee a good placing on organic results, do you not think us "experts" would be doing this all the time?  What these companies tend to do (to fulfill their promises) is ensure your site is #1 for a search so specific you can't fail to be number one.  What they can't do is give you the results for the more generic terms that you need.  For example, search for "cobnut web" - wow I'm #1 in the results (at least I should be).  Search for "web yorkshire" and... umm... I'm not there really...

Different businesses benefit in different ways and without knowing more about your business it's hard to advise.  Some will need Adwords to get business.  Others will only enhance their business through Adwords.  Others could see a dramatic increase in sales purely through SEO (and therefore organic hits).

Can you do SEO yourself?  Yes, of course.  In the same way I can re-wire my house using information on the Net.  There's a ton of very good, very correct information out there to help you, but how do you know it's right?  

The question you have to ask is how important is - or could be - the web to my business, then treat it like any other expense - decoration, fittings, furniture, etc. - and if it turns out it's highly important, hire a professional.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits