AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

salesforce UTM+GCLID

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi there, 

Looking to connect salesforce to my adwords account but I need to use GCLID- currently have the use of UTM. 

Can I add GCLID to the account whilst retaining the UTM sources? Has anyone ever done this before? 

Thanks

Sarah

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
July 2017

Re: salesforce UTM+GCLID

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@Sarah L,

Yes, this is doable. But first you need to create a custom GCLID field in Salesforce so the system knows what to listen for and can parse that data accordingly. And of course, confirm that "auto-tagging" is enabled in your adwords account.

Here is the step-by-step process for making sure Sales Force, Adwords, and Analytics are all setup properly so that data is transferred and attributed correctly.

Adwords & Salesforce Integration | GCLID

Let this community know if you run into any issues? Good luck Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
July 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@Sarah L,

Yes, this is doable. But first you need to create a custom GCLID field in Salesforce so the system knows what to listen for and can parse that data accordingly. And of course, confirm that "auto-tagging" is enabled in your adwords account.

Here is the step-by-step process for making sure Sales Force, Adwords, and Analytics are all setup properly so that data is transferred and attributed correctly.

Adwords & Salesforce Integration | GCLID

Let this community know if you run into any issues? Good luck Smiley Happy

salesforce UTM+GCLID

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you Cameron. 

So you can track leads using UTM in salesforce and GCLID in analytics at the same time? 

Smiley Happy 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@Sarah L,

So this is a complex task....but again doable. Yes, GCLID is encrypted and only Google Analytics can translate that data. So in this scenario, you have to use a hybrid of UTM manual tagging and auto-tagging.

That being said, the most important part is configuring your Analytics account to OVERRIDE your GCLID with manually tagged UTM parameters. Otherwise, Analytics will read both the UTM parameters and GCLID as duplicates and that will skew your data. So configure your tracking template within Adwords with the appropriate UTM parameters, keep auto tagging on, and configure this advanced settings in Analytics (see screenshot). Also, use that previous link in that thread to make sure everything was configured properly in all 3 platforms.

Under property settings within your GA account:

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 9.35.11 AM.png

salesforce UTM+GCLID

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Cameron, 

Thank you so much for your help on this! I can feed this back to my team. 

BW

Sarah