AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

mobile phone ip address exclusion a series of ip

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

my competitors keep clicking on my add to run my budget out through mobile phone adds. Every time they click they change their ip address. how can i block a series of ip address or a rage of ip addresses. because every time they change their ip address only the last 6 digits of their ip address changes. The first 6 digits remain unchanged. 

Thanks for help

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: mobile phone ip address exclusion a series of ip

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Nash,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

I wonder if someone can have a dedicated person employed only to click his competitor's ads, and that too with a technology that frequently changes IP addresses. Does not seem to be practical thing to me. 

My advice - you should dig a bit deeper in your campaigns to check if certain (irrelevant) keywords or placements are causing ill-targeted traffic. Depending your campaign type you can look for the problematic keywords/placements and can exclude them. 

Google already has a robust technology to fight click frauds.  You should give it a read

Now coming to your question, you can use full IP addresses or the wildcard character (*) in place of the last 3 digits, indicating a block of addresses.  Let me emphasize- it's last 3 digits.  Hence, it would not be possible to use wildcards for 6 digits. 

You can block IP addresses, a series of IP addresses, using wildcard something like this -  123.4.5.*

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Nash,

I will underscore Ratan Jha's answer. You're talking about excluding a class b network, that's 65536 ip addresses. Not very many companies have a class b sub-net. It is very unlikely clicks are coming from the same people.

I, too, suggest you look or other reasons your ad isn't performing well.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
its is very easy to change ip addresses specially with iphone. I am surprised that most people who should know a lot about these tricks but actually knows nothing and leave every thing on google, hopping and asuming that google is very smart and that they have automatic system against the click fraud.
That is what i hear from google support too. but i am 100 percent sure about my competitors as they call me to stop my adds or they will click my budget out. and they spent my 1000 dollars in just 2 hours. as my keywords clicks are too expensive and they reach upto 35 dollars a click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
if you are spending 2000 dollars aday for adwards, employing some for 100 aday is cheap to click adwards of your competitors

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi David T,

I would imagine all you need to do to change ip addresses on a mobile device is disconnect and reconnect. I haven't checked that out, but it seems entirely likely. Changing the IP address of the phone's connection wouldn't delete the cookies stored by the browser, and that cookie could help Google detect invalid clicks. The user could delete all cookies, or use a different browser or a different device to get around all that.

Is Google reporting invalid clicks? Are you getting actual phone calls, or just the clicks? Is is only click-to-call ads doing this, or desktop also?

Have you looked at the Search Terms report? Do any of those search terms account for a significant number of those clicks? Are you using a lot of broad match terms? That will get you a lot of not-relevant clicks.

My best recommendation for you is to scale back on your campaign until you get a handle on all of this. Make sure you are using the proper match types, that your not getting clicks from irrelevant queries.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply but i have already done everything that any person
with the current Google setting could do.. My keywords are related exactly
to the point and are with phrase match with negative keywords.

it just my competitors clicking on my add on pc and mobile. Google is not
that clever to catch those invalid clicks as they delete their cookies
first and then they change their ip address on both pc and iPhone and ipad.
They leave no evidence for invalid click mate.

They fool Google that is worth billions of dollars. Our keywords are
expensive which have made our competitors go clever more than ever while
Google is collecting the cpc only which shows how dumb or greedy Google is.

our main keywords are

CASH FOR CARS

CAR REMOVAL

SCRAP CARS

all are on phrase match