AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

make reports attribute conversions to different custom variables

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey all,

Some background:

I have a system where people come go into a 'Main Questionnaire'.

and they can get to the success/thanks page within that main questionnaire. we place our general Adwords pixel there.

They also can go individually into 'Specific Questionnaire #1' and we place the same Adwords pixel on its success/thanks page.

So If someone comes on an Ad#1 for 'Main Questionnaire', the pixel fires and we know they came from Ad#1 in Google Adwords (sicne Adwords is smart and attributes a conversion to the last ad or whatever that is stored in the cookie).

If someone comes on an Ad#2 for  the'Specific Questionnaire#1' the pixel fires and we know they came from Ad#2 in Google Adwords (since Adwords is smart and attributes it to the last ad or whatever that is stored in the cookie).

The problem for us is, sometimes they come in on Ad#1 for 'Main Questionnaire', but we may switch them to the 'Specific Questionnire#1' since they may want to try out a specific Chronic Diabetes Questionaire vs our original generic Diabetes questionnaire if they fail that Main Questionnaire.

So we would switch them into that specific/Chronic Diabetes questionnaire and the same Adwords pixel fires...

But the problem is Marketing wants to sort Ad#1's conversions by how many people really got the original 'Main Questionnaire' success page vs the 'Specific Questionnire#1' success page.

So for Ad#1, we may have 100 conversions in 'Main Questionnaire' and 50 more attributed to the same ad in 'Specific Questionnire#1' so they are seeing in Adwords 150...

but they want to see 100 real conversions (and 50 'switched' conversions elsewhere in the report).

Can you do Custom Variables in Adwords to pivot reports on?

Then i can set a variable equal to the questionnaire name, like 'Main Questionnaire' and 'Specific Questionnire#1', on the generic pixel, and Marketing can then hopefully have a way to report based on that.

I dont think I'd use google_conversion_value since that seems specific to giving a weight on  a conversion (like I've only seen that used for Total Order $ in ecommerce systems), but I just want to report on something closer to Custom Variables like how Google Analytics has.

Thanks for any ideas,

Ari

Re: make reports attribute conversions to different custom variables

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ari, 

Your issue can be resolved with Analytics with much better precision. Use Analytics' URL Builder and Analytics' Goals (Created using Success Page URL). 

Use Destination URLs for

Create Seperate Goal in Analytics for Success Page (with UNIQUE URL) of each questionarie form and carrying a Query string of Type of Questionarie. You can do that by submitting the form with hidden input tag of type of questionarie and post it to success page as well. 

For Example...

Then, Try Reading Conversion Report in Analytics for each Campaign and Each Goal Set. 

Hope this Helps. 

Regards, 
Amit