AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

2.4K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

landing page url

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

What happens if I use a url in an ad that sends users to a page that is different from url in ad?

I am thinking primarily through 302 or 301 redirect.

I guess that ad will not be approved if I do that when creating ad? (not considering the use of a tracking template here)

But what if I redirect the url after having created the ad, the AdWords server might never see that, right?

/ David

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David_Precisera
September 2015

Re: landing page url

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi David,

That is correct. A single redirect will not make the ad ineligible. I do a redirect sometimes when the landing page is changed for an ad or for a keyword. It seems to help transfer any "juice" the original landing page had to the new page. And it doesn't have the effect of deleting the current ad and replacing with a new ad.

The bot will follow the 301 and 302 redirects, and will also follow any refresh you have set with meta tags on the page.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
The URL of the ad has to match the destination URL after all redirects have taken place.

Read more: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/1310892?rd=1

Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi David,

There is a restriction of "too many redirects", although Google doesn't really tell us what too many is. One redirect should be fine. Advertisers often do that for tracking purposes.

The requirement is the top-level domain of the destination after all redirects must be the same as the display URL.

The Google-AdsBot crawls your ad and keyword level destination (final) URL's from time to time, not only when you create the ad. One of the things it does is verify the URL is still good. It's a mistake to think you could sneak something by with a redirect.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

Thanks to both of you.
Not intending to sneak out with anything.
Just curious about how redirects is handled by the bot.
If I understand you Pete correctly, it will not react and make ad ineligible just because there is a redirect?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David_Precisera
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi David,

That is correct. A single redirect will not make the ad ineligible. I do a redirect sometimes when the landing page is changed for an ad or for a keyword. It seems to help transfer any "juice" the original landing page had to the new page. And it doesn't have the effect of deleting the current ad and replacing with a new ad.

The bot will follow the 301 and 302 redirects, and will also follow any refresh you have set with meta tags on the page.

Pete

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
"and will also follow any refresh you have set with meta tags on the page"

what does that mean ....

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi David,

You can redirect a page using the 'refresh' meta tag. It would look something like this:
<META http-equiv="refresh" content="5;URL=http://www.indiana.edu/~account/new-directory">

The 5 means after 5 seconds. This is not recommended by W3C, but it does work.

Here's an article that explains some of it: http://webmaster.iu.edu/tools-and-guides/maintenance/redirect-meta-refresh.phtml

Pete