AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

how does remarketing list populate? does it differentiate ad/organic clicks?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I am not sure whether Adwords remarketing tag populates lists based on ad clicks or overall organic traffic into the website.

I've taken a look at most of the support pages but none of them does not seem to clarify my question.

I've heard from my coworker that, remarketing lists does populate based on overall organic traffic for GDN campaigns, but when it comes to Search campaigns, it only stores user cookies if they're from ad clicks. is that true?

Thanks in advance for your answer. 

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sunho K
3w

Re: how does remarketing list populate? does it differentiate ad/organic clicks?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

All visitors to the site regardless of the source of traffic are added to the list.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

how does remarketing list populate? does it differentiate ad/organic clicks?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I am not sure whether Adwords remarketing tag populates lists based on ad clicks or overall organic traffic into the website.

I've taken a look at most of the support pages but none of them does not seem to clarify my question.

I've heard from my coworker that, remarketing lists does populate based on overall organic traffic for GDN campaigns, but when it comes to Search campaigns, it only stores user cookies if they're from ad clicks. is that true?

Thanks in advance for your answer. 

Highlighted
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sunho K
3w

Re: how does remarketing list populate? does it differentiate ad/organic clicks?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

All visitors to the site regardless of the source of traffic are added to the list.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
If you use Analytics audiences you could split them if that is important to you.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
@RobSkelton 's response is the answer.

If you use the remarketing code from AdWords then all visitors are added to your list and you simply get one list of all the visitors who landed on the page(s) with the code on them.

You can get smart - for example, you could add one code to your cart page, and another to your checkout confirmation page - that way yo have two list and could target those people who added something to their cart, but exclude all those people who completed a purchase... now you have targeting of people who put something in their cart but didn't complete the purchase - useful.

But clunky...

If you set up your remarketing lists in Analytics you can then slice and dice them based on the segments you can build there. This gives you a lot more flexibility - for example, you could target people who put something in their cart but didn't complete a purchase, who visited on a mobile device in a language other than English and who were active between 3 and 6am.... not completely sure why you might do that, but you could!