AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

detect if my app is installed from an AdWords ad click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to use google adword campaign to advertise my app, then I want my app checks if it's installed from clicking ads banner in another app, I read Mobile Apps Conversion Tracking documentbut it seem not clear.

I know campaign measurement, and I can catch INSTALL_REFERRER intent which include referrer information if my app is installed from a google play referral url. But I don't know how to detect if this app is installed from clicking ads banner, what info will my app receive if I catch INSTALL_REFERRER intent?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Minh D
September 2015

Re: detect if my app is installed from an AdWords ad click

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Minh,

Thank you for your question! App install conversion tracking is handled automatically in AdWords once you create an app install conversion event for your Android app.

If you are interested in seeing specific instances when your app was downloaded after an ad click, you can use the INSATALL_REFERRER. Any information inside the "referer" parameter of your ad click will be broadcast to your app.

For example, if you set your destination url to:

"https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myapp&referrer=googlead"

you would receive "googlead" as the INSTALL_REFERRER. If you would like to receive more detailed information, please look at our value track parameters.

For more information on how to set up your app to receive the INSTALL_REFERRER, please read this Android developers article.

Good luck with your campaigns!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Minh D
September 2015

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Minh,

Thank you for your question! App install conversion tracking is handled automatically in AdWords once you create an app install conversion event for your Android app.

If you are interested in seeing specific instances when your app was downloaded after an ad click, you can use the INSATALL_REFERRER. Any information inside the "referer" parameter of your ad click will be broadcast to your app.

For example, if you set your destination url to:

"https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myapp&referrer=googlead"

you would receive "googlead" as the INSTALL_REFERRER. If you would like to receive more detailed information, please look at our value track parameters.

For more information on how to set up your app to receive the INSTALL_REFERRER, please read this Android developers article.

Good luck with your campaigns!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, I also think like you, but I have no way to test this situation(download form ad click), I hope it'll work exactly