AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

adwords conversion tracking and analytics conversion tracking

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi

I have placed the AdWords conversion tracking code on the thank you page and it is measuring conversions (as it looks like) just fine. Also I am importing conversion data from Google Analytics. Now I have a situation where I am not entirely sure if the sum of all conversions is correct. 

Eg. I have 8 conversions measured by the AdWords tracking code. Also I have 5 conversions imported by Analytics. It gives me a sum of 13 conversions on the Conversions page and also in the conversions(many per click) column on the campaigns page. 

This leads me to believe that I had 8 direct conversions after someone clicked on an ad plus 5 conversions as follow up conversions(many-per-click). 

But, when I look at the Assisted Conversions Report in Google Analytics I only see 1 assisted conversion and 4 direct conversions coming from AdWords.

Unfortunately e-commerce tracking is currently not working in Analytics (for some setup reason on the client page). So I wonder where is Analytics getting those 5 conversions from (the AdWords code on the thank you page?) and why are they being added to the conversions report in AdWords. 

Basically my questions is. Do I have to EITHER use the web page conversion in AdWords OR the imported conversions from Analytics, OR does it make sense to use both of them and have them being summed up (in my case 8 + 5)?

If those 5 conversions coming from Analytics are really follow up conversion to an AdWords click, why isn't the AdWords tracking code measuring them?

If there is no clear answer to what I am asking, maybe you know information how I can clearly understand, measure and separate direct conversions as well as follow up conversions and also test the setup. 

PS: I have no duplicate codes on my pages. Just the AdWords code on the thank you page and the Analytics code on all pages. 

Thanks

Aleks

from the campaigns page

Screen Shot 2013-05-27 at 12.12.49.png

from the conversions page

Screen Shot 2013-05-27 at 12.18.37.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: adwords conversion tracking and analytics conversion tracking

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Aleks,

Could you upload a printscreen and make circles around what type of conversions are 8 and what type of conversions are 5 ? Why are they separate values ?

I have a feeling you are talking about View-through conversion data

Just quoting from the help file :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722023?hl=en

View-through conversion data

A View-through Conversion happens when a customer sees an image or rich media ad, then later completes a conversion on your site. This is different from a Click-through Conversion, which happens when a customer had previously clicked on an ad (such as on the Google Search or the Google Display Network) and then completed a conversion on your site.

The data you see in your reports can be affected by how you're tracking view-through conversions. Here's how, depending on whether or not the feature is enabled or disabled in your account:

• Disabled: If a customer views your display ad, doesn't click it, and then later clicks on a search campaign ad, we'll count one view-through conversion and one click conversion.
  • Enable: If a customer views your display ad, doesn't click it, and then later clicks on a search ad, we'll count only the last conversion type (the click conversion, for example).

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Adrian

I added two screenshots to my original post. Do they help? The Campaigns page indicates they are not view through conversions. 

Thx

Aleks

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Aleks,

If I could jump in here, my interpretation after looking at the screenshots which you have shared above, it looks like you are adding the Conversion Type Sales from Adwords plus the Analytics as source page

If I would be there in your place, first I will check what thanks pages has given me a conversion either from Adwords or Analytics. So for that, I need to click on respective action to get the desired web page. After that, finding the unique pages and then adding the number will be the actual values for me rather than simply adding 8+5. Because as per my understanding, this would include the repetitive numbers, so to identify the unique ROI, I would follow the steps I mentioned. That's purely my understanding here.

The point here is to identify the unique conversions (be it from Adwords or importing goals from Analytics).

My thoughts!

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Maybe the following fact helps.

The AdWords tracking code and the Analytics sales goal are measuring the same thank you page. Is this not the right way to do it?

My understanding was, that Analytics sales goal conversions reported back to AdWords would be deduplicated if they are coming from an AdWords campaign. But clearly I am wrong. Why is it then possible at all to import Analytics sales goals and transactions into AdWords if the results are not deduplicated? Or is deduplication being done and I just have got an error in my setup?

I understand that it is of use to measure newsletter sign ups, leads, etc. in Analytics coming from AdWords campaigns, importing them back into AdWords as conversions and adding them to the AdWords conversions. 

But wheres the point being able to import sales goals and transactions from Analytics into AdWords if conversions are not deduplicated?

Is the philosophy maybe EITHER to use the AdWords tracking code OR importing Analytics sales goals and transactions into AdWords, and if so, why is it not mentioned clearly in the setup guides?

Sorry guys if I'm hassling you with this, but I'm a bit lost here. Too much information and no clear answer to my questions...though your answers so far are helping me to wrap my head around this issue slowly. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I always see it on Analytics, they are not reporting conversions many per click. As far as I see it you had 8 conversions 1 per click and 8 many per click. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We were experiencing a similar issue when I linked our Analytics and AdWords accounts, and we were seeing duplicate conversions counted in some instances.

From what I've seen, it appears that AdWords will dedupe the one-per-click conversions, but they'll double-count the many-per-click conversions.

We disabled the conversion importing from GA and the issue ceased and our conversion tracking now appears to be correct.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here's my suggestion: If you can, you should always use your adwords conversion code to track conversions in adwords. I would only import goals from analytics as a second option if you are not able to place the adwords conversion code, or if you are tracking a GA goal that is triggered by an even like a download or time on site. 

If you are tracking adwords conversions accurately, I would not import goals into adwords as this will muddy the waters and make it difficult to understand what's happening (exactly what you're seeing now). 

However, I would recommend setting up goals in GA to mirror your adwords conversions, so you can look at your conversions in two places and get a gut check. They usually won't match each other 100% but if the delta between them changes dramatically then you may have something funny going on.

One important thing to note is that Adwords conversions are tracked differently than GA goals. Depending on what you have your conversion window set to in Adwords, a conversion will be attributed to a click even if that click was not the final interaction that led someone to convert. For example: I click on your ad today on 11/6 but do not convert, then do a search in 10 days and find your site organically and convert. Adwords will retroactively register that as an adwords conversion on 11/6. However, GA would attribute that goal to the organic search.

I can't be sure but that might be explain why adwords is registering 8 conversions and GA is registering 5. goals. It's a little bit frusterating and confusing that Google's two products track differently but it's important to understand the distinction.