AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

adwords conversion not tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So we are running some youtube ads to a landing page on our site:

www.newscrapbookingideas.com

I have ad words conversion code put on the thank you page after someone puts in their email. The Thank you page is here:

http://newscrapbookingideas.com/151-tips-thank-you/

However, ad words is simply not tracking the conversions.

How do I know we are getting conversions?

Because I am split testing landing pages with an experiment in analytics. And for the last 7 days I can see that direct traffic (we are only driving traffic to this new site in this ONE paid campaign) we have 20 conversions.

But back in adwords it reports NO conversions.

I have used tag manager plugin to ensure the codes for conversions and analytics are on my thank you page correctly. Tag manager appears to say all is good - and yet no conversions are being tracked.

Would love some help please!

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: adwords conversion not tracking

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Anouska,

I checked the thankyou page and there is no problem with conversion tracking code. It seems that you might have not received a conversion through AdWords. In AdWords, a conversion is attributed to your AdWords account only if someone clicks on your ad and then makes a conversion on website.

To solve the issue, I would recommend you to search for your ad on Google and click on it and then do a test conversion on your website. This will help you in verifying your conversion code.

Thanks,
Rahul

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

To me there's an issue with your implementation. There's conflict. Conversion pixel is not actually firing. 

If you have set up conversion with GTM, why do you have AdWords Conversion Code on the page? Remove the normal conversion code. 

Update us here if it does not help. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Nice observation Ratan. Didn't see the GTM code. Yes there is a conflict because of GTM and normal conversion tracking code.

Thanks,
Rahul

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi guys,

Thanks for this. I have now done these suggestions.

However there still seems to be a big discrepancy between the conversions tracked in adwords and the ones reported in analytics.

Also - in this campaign I am getting WAY more "view through conversions" than actual conversions. To be fair I am barely getting any conversions compared to view through ones.

So I can't help but think there's an issue with the tracking / reporting here.

Here's why:

1. This is a brand new site so we don't get SEO traffic.
2. We are not running any other paid campaigns to this site, or driving any of our own traffic here AT ALL.
3. We are only running ONE adwords PPC campaign to this site. So the traffic that hits the landing page is from this campaign.

So why then would we be getting like 6 view through conversions and 1 conversion?

This landing page converts at 30%.

There would be know way that someone could ever know how to get to our site, unless they clicked on the ad because there is no URL mentioned within the ad itself.

This begs the question - how could a view through conversion even happen?

Because the chances of them watching half the ad and then somehow discovering our new site through another channel (Google search etc) is just not possible.

Not when we are reporting so many view through conversions each day.

Is it possible the view through conversions are actual "conversions" and just being mis reported?

Thanks