AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

adwords conversion code tag inactive

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi There

In conversion code in adwords account under Tools> Conversions. We have different status for the code which includes  Unverified, No recent conversions and Tag Inactive.

My question is about 'Tag inactive' .As I understand  this status comes up if the system  does not see the tag as well as has not recorded any conversions.Does that means that the code becomes permanently dead or is it still capable of recording conversions once any other conversion takes place in future.

Also,based on the above query  is the possible solution  is to replace the code with a new one or should we  work with the  same code and it will start reporting once a new conversion happens?

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: adwords conversion code tag inactive

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi there,

Tag inactive means AdWords system did not find the tag in your website. It is possible to see conversions with 'tag inactive' status if the code was implemented for a while when conversions were recorded.

You can choose to use the same code if you like to use the same conversion action. Else you can generate a new code and paste it in the confirmation page.
Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Sumanth..

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've had this same issue come up with multiple clients lately. Many of them had a code that worked and just recently started became an inactive tag. The thing I've noticed for a lot of them is that they became inactive with their last tracked conversion. I'd like to keep the same code. Do you know what would be causing it a lot of my website's tags to become inactive? I've seen then happen on the 4th and 11th of August.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi Olga,

This could happen if the code was removed by the client (or someone else who has access) or the page itself was removed/replaced by another page which doesn't have the code. You'll have to ensure the code isn't lost when the site is revamped.

Feel free to write back!

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Nope. Code is still there. Nobody touched it. Still an issue. Ideas?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I've had the issue on and off since then Anthony. When I called AdWords Support all they said was to remove the code, save, and place the code again. I've noticed this has worked for most of my accounts but there's no saying when it disappears again. It is very frustrating.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Sumanth,

I'm still having the same issue. Any tips on fixing this permanently? Would you say using Analytics goal tracking is better?

Best,
Olga

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Olga,

Is this a conversion that normally receives a high amount of traffic? it is possible that there is actually nothing wrong with the code or the placement, but if that page has seen no traffic in that last 7 days then that tag will become inactive.

If a user were to then visit that page, the conversion will still be recorded and the tag will become active again (inactive does not infer broken, it just means that no activity has been seen recently).

If you have checked the code on the page and all is in working order, as well as it is usually a high volume conversion then I would suggest going through the process yourself and ensure that the conversion point has not actually changed. perhaps the client has added a new thank-you page for example.

Let me know if this helps at all.

Regards