AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Using UTM and ValueTrack with Upgraded/Final URLs

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Having recently found out about the move from Destination URLs to Final URLs I have some questions about how to best manage the change.

First of all, a bit of context:

- We're currently using Destination URLs with UTM tracking codes. eg. www.site.com/?utm_campaign=PPC_Campaign&utm_medium=Search&utm_source=Google_PPC

- Auto-tagging is also enabled - I'm not sure if this is best practice but we need/want UTM tracking to be able to track clicks in a third-party system (i.e. outside of AdWords and Google Analytics).

So, now the question; should I create a tracking template and upgrade all existing URLs to Final URLs? If so, should the tracking template use UTM tracking, ValueTrack, both...? I want to be able to still track performance in a third-party system.

Also, I'm assuming I have to use UTM tracking for it to work in a third-party system - is that correct? Or can I use ValueTrack instead?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Using UTM and ValueTrack with Upgraded/Final URLs

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Good morning.

What you're describing sounds like the correct way to handle the upgrade. Have you read through the instructions around 3rd party tracking?  (When you go to do the upgrade in the UI, it offers links to information explaining the upgrade process.)

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the response.

Yes, I've read the various articles there are and am still a bit unsure on the best way to go about this.

Since posting the question originally I guess it has changed a bit. I think I will continue to use UTM tracking although am unsure if I should still leave auto-tagging enabled as well.

So, now I want to know:
- Can I set up a tracking template and then upgrade to Final URL and delete the current UTM tracking from all the URLs?
- Can I use dynamic attributes within UTM codes? For example: www.site.com/?utm_campaign={campaignid}&utm_term={keyword}

Thanks

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Good morning - 

Once you set up a tracking template and upgrade your current ads, you won't need to "delete"  the current UTM tracking. That's what the upgrade process does--it splits out your website info from the tracking information and stores each separately. 

As far as I know, the same tracking options/attributes will be available. I upgraded one account where I was using some ValueTrack parameters and there were no problems.

If I haven't answered your question, please provide more detail?

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's useful to know, thanks. I think my last question now is whether I can use ValueTrack parameters in UTM codes, for example utm_term={keyword} and utm_campaign={campaignid}. Do you know if those would work?

I was thinking my final tracking template would look something like this:
{lpurl}&utm_campaign={campaignid}&utm_term={keyword}&utm_source=Google_PPC

Thanks again for your help

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager

Hi Ben, 

To help users like you, the upgraded URLs Product Manager is now available on this thread

Feel free to post your final URL question there.

Hope that helps,

Mini

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ben, 

The problem you had faced I am facing it right. We use third party software , where tracking urls are created for Landing pages with UTM codes. This is how my url looks after creating it with UTM codes( http://pages.xyz.com/abc-lmn?utm_source=PPC &utm_medium=adwords&utm_campaign=jkl). Now how to use it Final url.

As far as I read, and also with the support from google team, I understand I can put complete url in the Final url (http://pages.xyz.com/abc-lmn?utm_source=PPC &utm_medium=adwords&utm_campaign=jkl). Then in the tracking template jus write {lpurl}. Then if at all i want to track some paramaters that I can add it custome parameters. Is it correct?

Lets say I want to track keyword parameters dynamically, how shall i go about it? it should be written like this ? {_keyword}=keyword to the customer parameter field? To track which leads have come from which keyword what settings do i need to do in the 3rd party software.

What I have done is created a filed called "UTM_term" in our system and thinking add this in the custom parameter "{_Term}=keyword".  If I do it like this, my ad will work? leads will get tracked?.. loads to learn in this.. please keep me posted about these queries.

Looking forward for your reponse,

B.Dhivya.