AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Upgraded URL - Invalid Tracking Template

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

This morning, i watched the video "Upgraded URLs Hangout on Air" made by the Adwords team.

So, I would like to upgrade all of my ads. I tried to upload the spreadsheet, following the steps exposed in the video. But, the preview informed me that no changes will be made and that i've got an invalid tracking template.

I don't understand why, because I respected carrefully the entire process. After separeted the final url and the tracking template, I added the {Ipurl}? before my UTM. My tracking template is like : {Ipurl}?utm_source=adwords&utm_campaign=X&utm_adgroup=X.

Can you help me please ? To understand why my tracking template doesn't work ?

And also, I would like to know if this Upgraded URL process will have an impact on Omniture tracking process?

Many thanks for your help !

Best regards.

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Upgraded URL - Invalid Tracking Template

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Annabelle, 

Welcome to the AdWords Community and thanks for posting your first question here. 

First, I'd say make sure that your final URL and tracking template look exactly the same as they were in the Destination URL. Make sure there is no extra ? or extra space. I think you have added an extra ? after {lpurl}

If you still have issues, feel free to reply here with a screenshot of the error you are seeing. 

Thanks,

Mini

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Annabelle J
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 12
Top Contributor

@Annabelle J,

Okay, I have a few questions please...

Why don't you have a dot '.' after www in the Final URL?

Second, {lpurl} - what's the first letter in {lpurl}? A small L ie. 'l' or a capital 'I' (Eye)?

It should be small 'el'. {lpurl} stands for Landing Page URL.

Please confirm. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Annabelle, 

Welcome to the AdWords Community and thanks for posting your first question here. 

First, I'd say make sure that your final URL and tracking template look exactly the same as they were in the Destination URL. Make sure there is no extra ? or extra space. I think you have added an extra ? after {lpurl}

If you still have issues, feel free to reply here with a screenshot of the error you are seeing. 

Thanks,

Mini

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Thank you for answering me.
I've tried once again to upload my spreadsheet, and no change still estimated. There's no space in the destination url and tracking template columns. About the ?, I deleted it between the {Ipurl} and the utms in the tracking template. Now, It begins with {Ipurl}utm_source=...
And there's no the question mark in my destination url too.

Do I need to add a question mark in the destination url after my url ? Like http://mywebsite.com/XXXX/XXX?

Thanks,

Annabelle

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Annabelle,

The tracking template looks good now. For the final URL, you don't have to add a ? at the end. Just leave it as is.

And let me know if you are still having issues after making these changes.

Thanks,
Mini

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mini,

The upload seems to work now.
I've let the ? in the final URL and all the URL's changes were successfully downloaded and applied to my account.
I have just one last question. I clicked on my ads on Adwords Interface. So, the landing page is opened in my browser. But, in the address bar, I can only see the final URL, without the tracking template. That's why I'm wondering if the tracking template will be recorded by Omniture and if I'll keep tracking info in my web analytic solution, like the name of the Adwords campaign and adgroup.

Many thanks for your help Mini !
Have a nice day,

Annabelle

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mini,

I'm sorry for answering you too fast ! Everything seems to work and the tracking codes appear on Omniture's dashboard.

But, the upload has only worked for one of my campaign, not for the others.

I've, however, made the same process.

Let me show you some screenshots to confirm you that i follow all the indications.

In the tracking template column, I put only the utm with the {Ipurl], without any question mark ou space.

Link to the screenshot :http://s27.postimg.org/50x146ggj/google.jpg

But, I continue to have errors or no change available. The error concerns "invalid tracking template"

Link to the screenshot : http://s10.postimg.org/cfdcqtoft/google2.png

Thank you !!

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
Hi Annabelle,

I'm looking into this for you.

Will post an update soon,
Mini

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Annabelle J,

Could you share your complete destination URL, with tracking info attached to it ? Feel free to replace your website address with example.com

I will try if I could be a help.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ratan,

Before the Adwords update, my destination URL was like www.example.com/nameofthepage?utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=xxx

According to the update, now, I don't have a destination URL.
In two different columns, I've got a final URL, like www.example.com/nameofthepage and a tracking template {lpurl}utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=xxx

Many thanks for your help !

Annabelle

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi @Annabelle J,

For a destination URL www.example.com/nameofthepage?utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=xxx

Here's what the upgrade would be - 

Final URL = www.example.com/nameofthepage

Tracking Template = {lpurl}?utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=xxx

Now this Tracking Template can be used as Shared Template and at ad level as well, and there should not be any issue. If all your ads in the campaign are going to have the same tracking, it's better to use it as shared template. If you need any help with it, do let us know. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha