AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking different conversion points back to ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!  I currently have 3 different campaigns driving to the same family of websites.  Campaign A and campaign B are YouTube video spots, campaign C is an AdWords text ad campaign with multiple ad groups.  I have conversion tags on the destination sites and the conversion tags are working fine.

I have one tag for "Member sign-up" and another tag for "Purchase made."  

I can see the number of total conversions for each tag under Tools and Analysis>Conversions (duh).

I can also see the number of conversions attributed to each ad under the main campaign view.

What I'm trying to see is which campaign drove to a specific conversion type.  

For instance:

Campaign A has 50 conversions.

Campaign B has 75 conversions.

Campaign C has 150 conversions.

"Member sign-up" has 100 conversions.

"Purchase made" has 50 conversions.

However, is there a way to see how many of Campaign A resulted in "Purchase made?"  

Steven

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking different conversion points back to ads

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Steven R ! Welcome to the Community 

When you are at the Campaigns level , after selecting a time-frame which you know that contains conversions, go to the button "Segment" and select "Conversions / Conversion action name" , to deselect click on "None".

The number of conversions will be on the Column "Conversions many per click" , if you have not activated this column, click on the "Columns" button and choose "Customize columns" / "Conversions" / "Conv. (many-per-click)"

segment-conversions.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Adrien,

Thanks for the thoughtful answer (bonus points for the screen cap!). This works great for the online campaign and I can see the conversions broken down. Is there a way to do it for the Video campaigns? Video has segmentation options, but I can't find the equivalent of the "Conversion Action Name" on the video side of things. Any tipss?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Steven, thanks for the kind appreciation.

I have been reading about AdWords Video Campaigns but the way I see it the data from a video campaign just provides information like how many times a video has been seen and a Cost Per View type of payment .

Is there a follow up interaction with the video that resembles a conversion, like clicking on the video to go to a landing page ?

As I see things ( without actually running such a campaign) the follow up action is defined by the "Call to action overlay" .  to take viewers to a Destination URL of your choice.

Are you saying you want to measure how many times the "call to action overlays" were triggered ?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I have created a test AdWords for Video campaign to see what metrics are available. There is indeed a separate section for "All video campaigns" and it has no segmentation for "Conversion action name" or a column for such a detail. There are available metrics like Conv. (1-per-view) or Conv. (many-per-view) but that's about it.

From this message bellow however I understand that the total "Conversions" from the "Tools and analysis" contain also conversions from the video campaigns , even if they have different names : many-per-click and many-per-view.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Measure-results/Conversions-in-AdWords-for-Video/m-p/93572/h...

So if you had only 1 video campaign you could do a simple subtraction : the total conversions (each name Many-per-click) from the Conversions tab minus the total conversions (each name Many-per-click) from the normal campaigns.

Also this blog post from AdWords explains the available metrics and among them there seems to be no "Conversion action name"  :

http://adwords.blogspot.com/2013/01/adwords-for-video-makes-reporting-more.html

"Want to optimize for conversions? Select the Website Traffic and Conversions objective to see how your video ads drove viewers to action. We’ll show you website traffic, number of conversions, cost-per-conversion, and your conversion rate from people who viewed your ad. "

I see no method to view every conversion ( many per view) in each of the video campaigns. They only show a total, there is no segmentation to view each "many per view" conversions.

[edit] I have a curiosity, you said that

Campaign C has 150 conversions.

"Member sign-up" has 100 conversions.

"Purchase made" has 50 conversions.

How many "many per click" conversions do you see in the "Tools and analysis / Conversion" , are they only 150 just as many as you see in the normal text ad campaign ( Campaign C ) ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Adrien,

Wow - I sincerely appreciate all the intel and thought you are sharing! I've been banging my head on the video side and between your research and mine, it doesn't look reasonably doable. I was kicking around the idea of using multiple campaigns and setting goals on the analytics side, but I don't think this particular metric is really all that valuable.

For sake of my original question, I had simplified the number of conversion points. I actually have 8 conversion points since part of what I'm tracking is behavior across two sites (landing page with it's own CTA's that also drives traffic to a sister commerce site with conversion tags). I do have the A, B, C campaigns set up as I had said.

I pulled the "many per click" metrics from the last couple of days and here is what I see in Tools>Conversions:

Commerce Site - Account Created: 2
Commerce Site - Home Page Visit: 91
Commerce Site - Purchase Made: 0
Landing Page - Conversion Type A: 4
Landing Page - Conversion Type B: 90
Landing Page - Conversion Type C: 0
Landing Page - Conversion Type D: 13
Total: 200

Against the same timeframe, the campaigns have :
Campaign A (video): Conv (1-per-view) = 44, Many-per-view = 60
Campaign B (video): Conv (1-per-view) = 12, Many-per-view = 20
Campaign C (online): Conv (1-per-cllick) = 85, Many-per-click = 120

I've looked at some ways to reliably figure it out, but I don't see a way to do it. If I dropped down to only 1 video campaign, I would think your subtraction suggestion might do the trick.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my actual metrics with you just to see if maybe there's a method.

Best,

Steven

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello ,

This is the closest work-around I could find since it seems that in analytics true-view visits are not yet tracked in order to view separate Goal completions :

http://www.markcijo.com/how-to-track-true-view-video-ads-in-google-analytics/

Since this solution is on a blog, don't trust it 100% when you test it. I would wait for an official segmentation feature from Google , because they could do this in the future. This is a feature request form :

https://support.google.com/adwords/contact/cfeedback

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hello, Steven.

As Adrian points out in his link on a blog, you can track any campaign down to ad level if you want, using manual tagging (here's a URL builder with campaign tags which can be interpreted by Analytics: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en).

Once you set up the links from your videos with campaign variables, along with the right Goals and Goal values in Analytics (and E-Commerce tracking where appropriate) you can track the number of conversions and their values at several levels. And this is valid not just for video campaigns but also for e-mail, print, outdoor (via short links or QR codes for instance).
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello ,

I tried to obtain some more points of view regarding this issue and here it is an official confirmation from one of  the AdWords Community Managers :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Measure-results/Can-Analytics-track-separate-Goals-for-AdWor...

Also with the kind help of AdWiser, an experienced programmer, strongly suggesting that this work-around is good, hopefully you are now more confident about setting up video conversions as Goals in Analytics.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Adrian,

Thanks again for all the thought. I am going to share your notes with my developer. If we get it working like we need, I'll post an update. Also, I was able to track someone down at Google who essentially verified that the conversion tracking I want isn't readily available in any reports...if anything can be done, it will need to happen with a developer doing something on my end. Hopefully one of your tips will work!