AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Tracking Template with Gmail Ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I have a very simple account-level tracking template of:

{lpurl}-{creative}

in order to track performance by ad ID in my internal reporting. This works fine for the majority of my ads, but for some reason doesn't seem to work with my Gmail ads. I see clicks (both ad engagements and clicks to website) and conversions for these ads reported in adwords, but my internal reporting is not showing any traffic with these ad IDs, and as soon as the ads started running I began seeing traffic that had no identifier where the ad ID would normally go. Is there something about gmail ads that is incompatible with tracking templates? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking Template with Gmail Ads

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Chris,

I can tell you that the data in my Google Analytics account is fine and I can see creative ids and post click behavior (likely just a function of having AdWords and Analytics linked) - I obviously have no insights into your internal tracking. Now, that said, I've also noticed that clicks through to the website do not have GCLIDs for gmail ads. That is likely due to the fact that we are charged by the 'open' of the email, not from the clicks to the website - or something along those lines.

Now, I also don't recall exactly how long this has been an option, I can see that you can attach tracking templates directly in the gmail ads. Have you tried implementing that at all? I'm not positive that it will impact clicks through to the website but it might be worth a try.

I feel like the fact that these are not charged clicks is the likely culprit here.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’