AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Track the journey from keyword to email. Possible via AdWords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi all,

We are trying to find the unique order ID per transaction and link this to an email from the customers Business Intelligence system. We implemented this help center article: So we can now get Order IDs in the conversion code, but we cannot find a way to export the Order ID via Google API. 

We are already optimising on value - however we want to link "keywords" to "emails". As of right now, we see a value per conversion on a keyword level. Take fx "nike shoes". If this returns a Return on Ad Spend of 1x - the client will most likely say: "This is not worth it - I can't even pay for the product". So we will bid lower for this keyword. However, if we somehow could link the keyword to emails, then if we consistently see that "nike shoes" lead to loyal customers who buys multiple times in the webshop (not even repeat via AdWords but fx via Direct) then we can argue that this keyword is suddenly not only worth 1x our money back but much more. 

We cannot find a way to link the AdWords API data to the Business Intelligence of the customers. From AdWords we have Order ID (however we cannot find that via API) and from the customer we have emails and orders. We are trying to get to the exact purchase from fx "nike shoes" and then we can find the email that way if we can find a unique order id. 

Anybody know how to connect "keywords" in AdWords with "emails" provided by customer?

Cheers
Morten

Any way you can help us bridge that gap? 

Let me know if I wasn't clear enough. 
2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, Morten. Can you please describe the steps that a customer takes before they get into the Business Intelligence system?

Do they click on an ad generated by a search term that triggers a keyword, then they complete a purchase and then ... what happens?

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Morten,

Have considered doing it the other way around? Attaching Google data to your system data, and then importing the conversions back into AdWords?
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/7014069?hl=en&ref_topic=7280668

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rob, 

Thanks for taking the time for this. I gave it some thought and I guess I am still not seeing how we would connect emails with conversions? Say I have this from the Client (outtake of the code): 

"var google_conversion_format = "2";
var google_conversion_color = "ffffff";
var google_conversion_label = "JA4sCKrFygIQloKd1wM";
var google_conversion_value = 329.00;
var google_conversion_currency = "SEK";
var google_conversion_order_id = 936246;
var google_remarketing_only = false;"

Then I see "order_id" as 936246 and from that I believe I can find the email address in our customers database. However, as far as we can tell, AdWords gives us aggregated data for a date range and I cannot find out how I can track this "order_id" back to a single keyword. 

So if I could find out that order_id came from keyword: "buy nike shoes" I could (from the client side) compare that order_id with the details they have (fx. emails) and then I can do calculations on fx Customer Life Time value. 

Can you see my issue? It could be I can get it via doing it the other way around, but I just can't see it right now. 

Cheers

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello, Morten.

I think what you're trying to achieve is: a) rather complicated with the setup you're describing and b) already implemented in Google Analytics.

Google AdWords only uses that order ID for de-duplication purposes, nothing else. So trying to link that specific variable to other AdWords dimensions is, I think, impossible.

However, Google Analytics tracks transactions and links each Transaction ID to the following AdWords dimensions (provided that you're using Google Analytics and you're linking it to your AdWords account):

Account
Ad Distribution Network
Ad Format
Ad Group
AdWords Ad Group ID
AdWords Campaign ID
AdWords Creative ID
AdWords Criteria ID
AdWords Customer ID
Campaign
Campaign Code
Destination URL
Display URL
Keyword
Keyword Match Type
Placement Domain
Placement Type
Placement URL
Query Match Type
Query Word Count
Search Query
Targeting Type

The way many of my customers work is the following:

- they pass this Transaction ID and record it in Google Analytics (where it is linked automatically with the above AdWords dimensions)

- they record the same Transaction ID in their CRM/ERP along with their customer data

Therefore it is pretty easy to take all customer data from their internal system and link it to their AdWords data via the common Transaction ID.

Can't you use a similar approach?

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi  Morten,

By capturing the AdWords Click ID, and importing the conversion data into AdWords with the Click ID, Google can match up ads and keywords with your conversions. It is detailed in the link I provided above.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Calin, 

Yes, I think you are right. I know it is possible via Analytics but I found the Google Order ID and thought that perhaps it was, then, possible with Google AdWords Tracking. I guess I will need to implement Analytics tracking and do that. I was hoping that this wasn't true: "So trying to link that specific variable to other AdWords dimensions is, I think, impossible." however I believe it is as well. 

Anyways, thanks for your help and I'll do it via Analytics. 

Cheers

Thanks for the 

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Don't mention it, Morten. But please have a look at imported conversions, as Rob was saying.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rob,

Let me see if I understand this correctly. We should

1) Set up offline-tracking by adding a GCLID to each page and then when somebody clicks an ad and buys, that person will have a GCLID assigned to the purchase. 

2) If we import the data found in 1) back into AdWords, we should be able to match the GCLID with the keyword level data? 

I am not sure I see exactly how to do it - would you mind writing it step-by-step? 

Thanks again for the help! 
Cheers

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hello, Morten.

Here's all you need to know about offline conversions (as they are called): https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2998031?hl=en

Let us know if there's anything more you need clarified.