AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Track Display Network Keywords in Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm running a display network campaign, and I have noticed in Google Analytics (which is linked to AdWords account) that separate keywords are not showing up for this particular content campaign, it's showing (Content Targeting) only.

I need to track all keywords with bounces, time and other metrics. Just same as Search Network campaigns which are showing just fine in Analytics.

Suggested solution is to use URL builder with Dynamic Keyword Insertion.

Is there a better solution to have it done? or should I use similar link in Destination URL of my ads:

www.example.com/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CampaignMedium&utm_term={Keyword}&utm_campaign=Campaig...

If I use above link in destination URLs, will not confuse the original utm variable of Google of this campaign or other campaigns within same account/website?

Thanks a lot

Re: Track Display Network Keywords in Google Analytics

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Ahmed,

Do you have any other kind of targeting set up in that Display campaign (managed placements, remarketing, interest categories, topics, etc.)? It could be the case that a keyword isn't pulling in because it isn't using contextual targeting.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Coco, I didn't really notice that earlier. My campaign was targeting Topics and Keywords when I wrote the first comment. However, now it's only topics. But I have around 10 different topics.

It's a bit different that the discussion title now, but the same problem. How can I measure the real ROI of a campaign if I'm unable to identify the topic?

If I could have something like this as destination URL (example.com/?topic=Topic_Name) where Topic Name is the value passed by Adwords when a user clicked the ad, then I will be able to track end-to-end conversions.

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Ahmed,

In terms of tracking ROI, are you using conversion tracking in AdWords? If so, you can track conversions to specific topics or other targeting methods.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Coco,

Thanks again for continuous support.

Yes I'm tracking Adwords conversions, but a conversion is not necessarily is a win conversion. I'm able to track win conversions among adwords conversions overall. (e.g. among 100 conversions I receive from AdWords, only 10 customer actually bought the product) so that I can measure the actual ROI per overall AdWords campaign. (This is done by passing additional special variable in Destination URL in Ads e.g. example.com/apply.html?source=Example_Campaign)

What I want to accomplish is
example.com/apply.html?source=Example_Campaign&Topic=Example_Topic

To simplify it, in Search Campaign I'm able to Dynamically Insert Keyword in the Destination URL, Is there is a similar way to get the topic name? or insight info of Display?

Thanks

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
Hi Ahmed,

You can set a specific destination URL for a topic; just add the 'destination URL' column when looking at the topics in your campaign. I think that's what you're looking for.

One other thing to note though: you can set the conversion tracking code so that it's on the thank-you page whenever someone completes a purchase. I think that might help you track those "win" conversions.