AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Top vs. Other Report

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

If your ad is at the bottom of the page with this new layout, will it show up in the "other" column in the top vs. other report? 

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual
3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author JoyHawkins
March 2016

Re: Top vs. Other Report

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

There's nothing for Google to change here, guys. Bottom ads were always part of the "Other" ads in "Top vs Other." If you thought "Other" only meant "side ads," you were missing the point.

Google probably won't change the segment's name, because they're not going to bother recalculating the top/side/bottom data for impressions before 2/19. If the data before that date is still including side ads, renaming the segment would make old data misleading.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Good question....

I think Google is going to modify this metric.

@CassieH ?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I really hope they tell us top vs. bottom! I've noticed sometimes position 2 or 3, for example, shows at the bottom of the page and the CTR will plummet like crazy. So this is really useful information that I want to know! Smiley Happy

Owner of Sterling Sky

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Agreed - this is just one of the oversights that this "sudden" change appears to be bringing.

If we look historically and our date range covers the period with and without the sidebar - what would position 4 or 5 actually mean?

Or 6 or 7 for that matter - that would be the difference between 1st page and 2nd page.

I guess we'll have to figure it out, but it throws up all sorts of opportunities for misinterpretation.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Nice question.

This is definitely something they'll have to update, but I've seen people mentioning that they're still receiving right side ads for some searches, so I guess that Google is still removing this.

Hope to see soon if this will be change to "Top vs Bottom" report hehehe
_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author JoyHawkins
March 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

There's nothing for Google to change here, guys. Bottom ads were always part of the "Other" ads in "Top vs Other." If you thought "Other" only meant "side ads," you were missing the point.

Google probably won't change the segment's name, because they're not going to bother recalculating the top/side/bottom data for impressions before 2/19. If the data before that date is still including side ads, renaming the segment would make old data misleading.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
What about position 4?

Google tells us that sometimes there will be 4 top positions - most times 3... so position 4 could be either top or bottom.

I agree that we are possibly making too much of this - and in any case it is not something we can do anything about, so we just have to live with it - but it does raise some interesting questions.

I for one have been caught out in the past by making my own assumptions about reporting which then proved to be incorrect and, thereby, misleading. I would prefer to raise all these questions at the outset here and hopefully at least understand what I'm looking at in the reports.

I also do not believe that this change is going to be very long lived. I don't mean that I think Google will reinstate the sidebar, but I can't quite believe that they will not use all that white space on the desktop. For mobiles this is a moot argument, but most desktop users have a third to half of their screen empty... and Google are engineers - they're not going to "waste" that. After all, no-one is going to ever convince me that Google are driven by aesthetics....

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi All,

I am with Michael B on this one. There is nothing to change in terms of the reporting. 'Other' has always included the ads at the bottom of the page which were there before the change.

It has also had no effect on positions as before the change not even position 1 was guaranteed to be at the top (even if it was 99% of the time), so in that case nothing has changed.

These reports and metrics mean the exact same thing they did before & after the change.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Thanks Everyone! Michael confirmed what I needed to know. I just wasn't sure if the bottom ads were part of the "other" section but it looks like they are. Thanks for contributing everyone!

Owner of Sterling Sky

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

I disagree. Though technically "Top vs others" included side and bottom, seldom  (until the last change) Google showed ads at the bottom. The 12-13 slots were reserved for the worst performing ads on the SERP  (in visibility and ad-rank),  mainly in auctions of highly  competative ads in which Google wanted to reserve slots also to "residual ads".

So, in practice, "other" represented the side ads.

Now, (after the change)  when the "bottom" is more significant, Goggle will have to change it to "top vs high bottom" (positions 5-6) and  "top vs the lowest" (position 7) - or something similar...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’