AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Question on Display Ads Placements with Keywords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm running a display ad campaign that include "news" sites as a topic choice and a few keywords...let's say for example the KW is +baseball +caps

So, my understanding is that the AdWords uses all parameters:

• My campaign/adgroup settings
  • My Topics I have chosen
  • My keywords I have chosen

to determine placement...contextually.

So, why then do I find my ad is showing on a page like:

http://conservativetribune.com/retail-chain-sharpton/

which has nothing to do with any of my parameters...save "topics" I suppose. There is nothing about "baseball or caps" contextually on this page?

Thanks, T

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Question on Display Ads Placements with Keywords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Alexander, please make sure that you target AND bid for both your targeting methods (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1209882?hl=en) instead of bidding only.

Also, please note that match type is irrelevant on the display network and all keywords are considered in broad match (so the broad match modifier does nothing). (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en)

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Alexander, please make sure that you target AND bid for both your targeting methods (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1209882?hl=en) instead of bidding only.

Also, please note that match type is irrelevant on the display network and all keywords are considered in broad match (so the broad match modifier does nothing). (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en)

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
You choose "news" as a topics and the site is a news site.... that seems fair.

As @AdWiser explains, if you want to then limit those news sites to those that are talking about baseball caps you need to target AND bid other wise it allows both targeting methods to drive traffic independent of one another i.e. it becomes "and/or" rather than just "and"

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

First, let me thank you @AdWiser for replying to my question. It is truly appreciated as I don't have many people around me to share any AdWords dilemma's or frustrations I have from time to time.

Thanks to you to @Stickleback!

So, I read your references and a few more online and reviewed my adgroup's targeting and it is set to "Target and Bid". I've attached a screen shot to confirm this.

So, I went back a reviewed the keywords I was told are "must use" and noticed one of the keyword phrases contains the abbreviation "diff" in it...this was generated by an SEO firm that said people use the abbreviation in natural search...etc.

Therefore, I am now inclined to think that perhaps this lone abbreviation in the list of keywords I am also using is quite possibly triggering a lot of erroneous matches in my display campaign.

I think I'll pause that KW and see what happens over the next few days. Does this make sense to either of you? 

settings-adwords.jpg

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

It does make sense to remove such keywords. But also remember, that the targeting ability of targeting options such as keywords and topics can be very poor, i.e. your ads may very well show up on pages that seem to be related to any of your targeting options.
I´ve a lot of experience in advertising of the GDN and I am not surprised (although sorry) of how poor the targeting can be.
Also make sure you don´t use the "aggressive targeting" (display campaign optimizer) as that makes your targeting even broader than choosen targeting options.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
And, perhaps, we should put this in perspective...

Google AdWords is an advertising medium. I've been in advertising for most of my working life, and we try and target as best as we can for our clients ads. So, for example, if we are looking to sell the new Chanel perfume (I've never had Chanel as a client, but if they're reading.....) then we look to target women who might want to buy. So we would look to titlers such as Vogue. Does this mean that all our potential clients read Vogue? No. does it mean that men don't read Vogue? No.

All it means is that we have a better chance of reaching our target market by placing our ad in Vogue than by using other media, such as Men's Health, for example.

When we target we should think less about targeting our market as rather reducing our wastage, because in truth that is what we are trying to do.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
You may consider adding "Mythbuster" to your signature, Steve Smiley Happy.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
I hate to be the one.... sometimes....

Mr. Grumpy

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
My situation is a bit different yet relates to the topic. I am targeting a single URL (the website only has two pages!) yet, it's a high volume site. I am doing managed placement with 2 keywords. Would you say, to maximize on impressions, I should remove the keywords?

This has been a back and forth argument. I've targeted this site for the last 3 years and impressions vary based the presence of a keyword or keywords or NOT. Your thoughts...

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
When considering managed placements there are going to be two broad types:

Imagine you sell a cycling product....

1. Placements that are within your niche - i.e. cycling sites. Pretty much every page on this site is going to be relevant to you. Here you can run a campaign which simply targets the whole site. These sites will, by definition, have limited traffic volumes.

2. Placements that have great traffic volumes but where only a part of their site is relevant to your product or service. Newspaper sites, or wiki type sites will fall into this category. Here you are really only interested in reaching their visitors if the visitor is looking at something specifically related to your product. Thus combining this placement with keywords (target and bid) will limit the pages on the site that your ad can be shown.

Putting your managed placements into one campaign or the other will give the best (relevant) traffic volumes.