AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Problem when importing Analytics goals into AdWords conversions...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there!

I have linked my Analytics with my AdWords account. I have managed to import goals from Analytics into AdWords conversions without a hitch. Unfortunately, the goal list isn't complete... For some reason, it shows only some of the active goals on Analytics and not the whole list. I'm confused as to why this is. I have already checked data-sharing and account settings, auto-tagging, etc. 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Problem when importing Analytics goals into AdWords conversions...

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello and welcome,

As per Google, there could be a delay of about 24-72 hrs. based on the time zone of your account and when you imported the goals. Also note that if you edited some goals in Google Analytics (like name change or deleted and created some new ones), then you have to delete the old goal from Adwords interface as well and import the new one again. This could again result in delay as well.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Through my experiences, I have found it's better to just create the conversion pixel and place it on the conversion page. Importing for Google Analytics take a bit of time and if you are looking for immediate results, I would suggest using the conversion snippet.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi ElGoadie,

Analytics Goals and AdWords Conversion code each are useful in their own way. Goals allow you to track progress throught the sales funnel. You can see how far visitors get in the process before dropping out, then tune the steps where you are losing visitors. If every conversion has the same value, Analytics Goals can work very well for you. Setting up the sales funnel and goal can be a little tricky, depending on the structure of your URL's. In most cases, the conversion needs to happen on the same domain as the landing page, but you can alter the Analytics code to track cross domains. Naturally, all sites involved must be running Analytics.

The AdWords Conversion code can track the exact amount of each conversion. If your sales each carry a different value, this is the better way to track your ROI and total sales. The AdWords conversion code can be placed on any page, on any domain, without any complicated alterations to the code. The conversion page does not need to be running Analytics.

In both cases, you'll have to wait for a conversion to happen before you'll know if it has been set up correctly. You can complete that conversion yourself, unless you have filtered your own IP address in Analytics. In that case, you'd need to use a computer with an unfiltered IP address.

And, one more caution, if you use both Goals and the tracking code you will double-count all your conversions--once with the goal and once with the tracking code. That'll make things complicated when you go to analyse the results.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi there,

In addition to the below, when you create a goal, it can take up to 48 hours before you see statistics in Analytics. With regard to the 'Import from Google Analytics' button in AdWords - once a goal has been completed from a paid search visit, it can take 2 weeks for the 'Import from Google Analytics' button to appear in AdWords. 

I hope this clarifies a few things for you.

Rachel