AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use Google Ads conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Performance Management Metrics on AdWords and Analytics

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Hi everyone,

Measuring the performance of your online advertising, particularly Google AdWords, is incredibly important when managing how you will spend advertising dollars or deciding on changes to keywords, landing pages, or ad text.

I thought it'd be interesting to play a game. Below I've included a few data points which may, or may not, be available in either Google AdWords or Analytics. If the answer is yes and data points are reported, let us know where we can find this information and how it has added value for you.

1. Average time between Google search and click on AdWords ad

2. Number of people on your site right now

3. Exact CPCs paid by competitors for similar keywords

4. Percentage of impressions lost directly due to low max CPC bids

5. AdWords clicks received by device (Tablet, Laptop/Computer, Mobile)

6. Total number of clicks a keyword received prior to a conversion

7. Search queries which led to a click on your organic result

Just in case you need to double check, here is a link to an article from our AdWords Help Center outlining what you can measure within Google AdWords. If you think of a metric reported either within AdWords or Analytics which I haven't mentioned, feel free to add a post to the thread letting us know why you love taking a look at it and use cases.

Let the game begin!

Juliana S.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Performance Management Metrics on AdWords and Analytics

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey

Thanks David for leaving 3 questions for us Smiley Happy 

1. AdWords clicks received by device (Tablet, Laptop/Computer, Mobile): Yeah. Adwords>>Campaigns>>Segment >> Device

2. Total number of clicks a keyword received prior to a conversion >> Adwords >> Keywords >> Columns >> customize Columns >> Search funnels >> Assist clicks

3. Search queries which led to a click on your organic result: Analytics >> Traffic Sources >> Search Engine Optimization >> Queries ( if you have linked your analytics with webmaster central)

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Nice with a game for a change : )

1. No (although I´d guess you have that data at Google : )

2. Yes, Real-time report in Analytics.
I mostly use in when I wanna check that a new implementation of the code is working

3. With auction-insights can (to some extent) see which competitors bid for the same keyword and how frequently you appeared on the ad-results page at the same time. But you cannot see how much they paid per click.

I use this report to get an overview of what my competitors are in a specific segment.

4. Well, in the "Search impression share"-report (a column at campaign and ad group level) you can see how big part of all possible impressions that you didn´t qualify for because of low rank. However, as bid is only one part of rank, I´d reply no to your question, you can not see "impressions lost directly due to low max CPC".

I use this report to figure out how many more impressions I could probably have got had if I had a higher CPC or a higher Quality Score.

I´ll the rest for someone else.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey

Thanks David for leaving 3 questions for us Smiley Happy 

1. AdWords clicks received by device (Tablet, Laptop/Computer, Mobile): Yeah. Adwords>>Campaigns>>Segment >> Device

2. Total number of clicks a keyword received prior to a conversion >> Adwords >> Keywords >> Columns >> customize Columns >> Search funnels >> Assist clicks

3. Search queries which led to a click on your organic result: Analytics >> Traffic Sources >> Search Engine Optimization >> Queries ( if you have linked your analytics with webmaster central)

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks theniks. I never use or think about point no 2(assist clicks) I come to know something new... :-)